Обсуждение: Server specs to run PostgreSQL

Server specs to run PostgreSQL

От
MaRCeLO PeReiRA
Дата:
Hi there,

Actually my PostgreSQL server is running on a Athlon
XP 1800+, 512Mb RAM, IDE Disks, 10/100 netcard.

I would like to buy a new server, could you please
give me some information about the specs??

Is it important to have a Dual (or even Quad)
processor??? Will PostgreSQL use them??

What about memory??? How much???

SCSI Disks and 10/100/1000 netcards, it's ok!! No
doubt!

It's a medium use server, about 3000 transactions/day.

Thanks in advance,
Marcelo Pereira

Fale com seus amigos  de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: Server specs to run PostgreSQL

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 14:04, MaRCeLO PeReiRA wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Actually my PostgreSQL server is running on a Athlon
> XP 1800+, 512Mb RAM, IDE Disks, 10/100 netcard.
>
> I would like to buy a new server, could you please
> give me some information about the specs??
>
> Is it important to have a Dual (or even Quad)
> processor??? Will PostgreSQL use them??
>
> What about memory??? How much???
>
> SCSI Disks and 10/100/1000 netcards, it's ok!! No
> doubt!
>
> It's a medium use server, about 3000 transactions/day.

Assuming that most of your transactions happen from 9-5, then that's
about 6 transactions per second.  Assuming these are mostly lightweight
transaction, you'll be needing a pentium 100 with 64 megs of ram. :)

Seriously though, the hardware you need / want REALLY depends on your
usage patterns.  Are you doing a lot of CPU intensive stuff, where
having more CPUs or faster / more memory would help, or are you mostly
I/O bound, and in need of a faster disk subsystem.

Dual CPUs are almost always a good thing, as there's enough going on
other than pgsql (the OS and all its processes) that having a second CPU
can make a machine noticeably more responsive.  After that, it's hard to
say.  PostgreSQL itself can only use 1 cpu per connection max, plus one
for things like th background writer or periodic vacuuming.  So, if
you've only got one user at a time ever hitting your DB, then multiple
CPUs wouldn't help.

Here's what I recommend for a db server:

Lots of memory
2 CPUs (more if needed, maybe dual core x 2)
battery backed caching RAID controller.  Look at Areca, 3Ware/Escalade,
and LSI
Lots of hard disks for said controller
fast, efficient NIC.  Better to spend a little more in a quality NIC
with a low CPU overhead.

Re: Server specs to run PostgreSQL

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Server specs to run PostgreSQL

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 14:25, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 14:04, MaRCeLO PeReiRA wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Actually my PostgreSQL server is running on a Athlon
> > XP 1800+, 512Mb RAM, IDE Disks, 10/100 netcard.
> >
> > I would like to buy a new server, could you please
> > give me some information about the specs??
> >
> > Is it important to have a Dual (or even Quad)
> > processor??? Will PostgreSQL use them??
> >
> > What about memory??? How much???
> >
> > SCSI Disks and 10/100/1000 netcards, it's ok!! No
> > doubt!
> >
> > It's a medium use server, about 3000 transactions/day.
>
> Assuming that most of your transactions happen from 9-5, then that's
> about 6 transactions per second.  Assuming these are mostly lightweight
> transaction, you'll be needing a pentium 100 with 64 megs of ram. :)

TYPO ALERT!  I meant 6 transactions per minute.  hence the Pentium 100
comment.  anyway....