Обсуждение: Restarting postgres server

Restarting postgres server

От
George Heller
Дата:
Hi all.

I just modified my pg_hba.conf file in order to allow
access from another machine. I needed to restart the
postgres server in order for the changes to take
effect, and so I issued the command,

pg_ctl restart -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

But the server failed to shutdown. The database was
not accessible either. So I restarted the server
machine, and now when I try to access the database
using,

psql mydatabase postgres

it gives me the error,
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or
directory
        connections on Unix domain socket
"/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I have a lot of data in there, so I dont want to get
it erased. Any ideas of how I can get this working, if
I need to restart the postmaster, what would be the
command? I am just a beginner with this thing, so
please bear with me.

Thanks in advance.
George

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get
bettertravel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: Restarting postgres server

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 15:21 -0700, George Heller wrote:
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or
> directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket
> "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> I have a lot of data in there, so I dont want to get
> it erased. Any ideas of how I can get this working, if
> I need to restart the postmaster, what would be the
> command? I am just a beginner with this thing, so
> please bear with me.

Try to start the server again, with:

pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data start

and see the log output. The logs should tell you what the problem is.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Restarting postgres server

От
Matthew Terenzio
Дата:
On May 14, 2007, at 6:21 PM, George Heller wrote:

> psql mydatabase postgres
>
> it gives me the error,
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or
> directory

Depending on your setup, postgres might not be starting automatically
on reboot.

Try:
pg_ctl start -D [datadir]

replacing [datadir] with your path like you did before and any other
options you want to send it.

pg_ctl --help for reference