Обсуждение: Windows Vista Support

Windows Vista Support

От
michael.alexander@impowerproject.com
Дата:
itappears that you don't support Vista. If so, are you planning any releases. I have a major project and was hoping to

Re: Windows Vista Support

От
Paul Lambert
Дата:
michael.alexander@impowerproject.com wrote:
> Can you confirm that you don't provide support for Windows Vista for any
> release of Postgres. I'm dumbfounded an it appears that you don't
> support Vista. If so, are you planning any releases. I have a major
> project and was hoping to use Postgres.
>

> Michael Alexander
> Impower

I've got PG running on a few Vista machines at this stage without problems.

The main thing you need to look out for is disabling User Account
Control for the installation process, otherwise the install will fail.

This is done through Control Panel -> User Accounts.

Once the install is completed you can re-enable it without issue.

Regards,

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

Re: Windows Vista Support

От
Dave Page
Дата:
michael.alexander@impowerproject.com wrote:
> Can you confirm that you don't provide support for Windows Vista for any
> release of Postgres. I'm dumbfounded an it appears that you don't
> support Vista. If so, are you planning any releases. I have a major
> project and was hoping to use Postgres.

PostgreSQL will run on Vista, however to run the installer you will have
to temporarily disable User Account Control.

This is because the current stable version of PostgreSQL was released
some time before Vista so obviously couldn't be properly tested with it.

The installer for PostgreSQL 8.3 has already been rewritten as required
to support Vista.

Regards, Dave

Re: Windows Vista Support

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
michael.alexander@impowerproject.com wrote:
> Can you confirm that you don't provide support for Windows Vista for any release
> of Postgres. I'm dumbfounded an it appears that you don't support Vista. If so,
> are you planning any releases. I have a major project and was hoping to use
> Postgres.

I too am dumbfounded and outraged, outraged!!! that Microsoft failed to
provide engineering or test support in the run up to releasing Vista.
You'd think they had a rival product, or something against open-source,
or some such.

BTW - where does it say the project doesn't/isn't planning to support Vista?

30 seconds googling seems to suggest otherwise:
http://www.nabble.com/Installation-fails-on-windows-vista-t3724831.html
http://www.nabble.com/Installation-fails-on-windows-vista-t3724831.html

And it looks like the forthcoming 8.3 is being tested daily:
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Windows Vista Support

От
Peter Wilson
Dave Page wrote:
> michael.alexander@impowerproject.com wrote:
>> Can you confirm that you don't provide support for Windows Vista for any
>> release of Postgres. I'm dumbfounded an it appears that you don't
>> support Vista. If so, are you planning any releases. I have a major
>> project and was hoping to use Postgres.
>
> PostgreSQL will run on Vista, however to run the installer you will have
> to temporarily disable User Account Control.
>
> This is because the current stable version of PostgreSQL was released
> some time before Vista so obviously couldn't be properly tested with it.
>
> The installer for PostgreSQL 8.3 has already been rewritten as required
> to support Vista.

I've not tried Postgres on Vista yet - I run it on Linux, however I have found
most Windows XP software that won't run by default on vista will do provided you
mark the executable to run in XP compatible mode - you don't have to turn off
'User Account Control'.

Worth trying : right mouse click on the Postgres installer, select the
'compatibility' tab and then Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop down.

Pete
--
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk
http://www.whitebeam.org