Обсуждение: pointer to feature comparisons, please

pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Kevin Hunter
Дата:
Hello List,

Short version:  I want pointers to feature comparisons of Postgres vs
Oracle.  Can the list help?

Long version:

I'm working with a student on a project for school.  I'm trying to
teach "right" methods of thinking and doing things, such as making
the database/data model the authoritative source rather than adding
code to the application layer.

I originally had him code his project for Postgres, but for reasons
beyond our control we've had to move to Oracle.  In designing the
schema we have need of a constraint that checks values in other
tables.  The way that I currently know how to do this in Postgres is
with PLpgSQL functions.  Then I add something like

CONSTRAINT away_team_is_playing CHECK ( NOT teamIsPlaying
( awayteamid, timeid ) )

to the table schema.  No big deal, except that it seems Oracle can't
use anything other than a simple column constraint.  He can't use any
custom functions like he could in Postgres, and we've yet to find a
solution to do what he needs.

I didn't immediately find anything last night on the postgresql.org
website, or a wider Google search.

So, motivation aside, what I'm wanting is a couple of pointers to
feature comparisons of Postgres vs Oracle.  What else is going to
bite him while he works on this project?  Would be handy to have this
reference since neither of us are really DB wizards.  (Besides!
Isn't it good to tout what Postgres does better than it's
competition? :-) )

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Rodrigo De León
Дата:
On Jun 13, 8:57 am, hunt...@earlham.edu (Kevin Hunter) wrote:
> So, motivation aside, what I'm wanting is a couple of pointers to
> feature comparisons of Postgres vs Oracle.  What else is going to
> bite him while he works on this project?  Would be handy to have this
> reference since neither of us are really DB wizards.  (Besides!
> Isn't it good to tout what Postgres does better than it's
> competition? :-) )

This might help a bit on the SQL side:

Comparison of different SQL implementations
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/ is where I go when I have to figure out
how to cope with someone's MySQL mess [this week:  it lets you put an
arbitrary integer into a boolean column?  seriously?]; it's also handy for
comparing against Oracle.

There is a helpful table
http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html I refer
to sometimes.  It's from March of 2005 so several pieces are out of date.

Kevin Kline's "SQL in a Nutshell" also has some helpful suggestions on
syntax differences between the major SQL dialects, but it's even older.

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Kevin Hunter wrote:

[...]
> I originally had him code his project for Postgres, but for reasons
> beyond our control we've had to move to Oracle.  In designing the schema
> we have need of a constraint that checks values in other tables.  The
> way that I currently know how to do this in Postgres is with PLpgSQL
> functions.  Then I add something like
>
> CONSTRAINT away_team_is_playing CHECK ( NOT teamIsPlaying( awayteamid,
> timeid ) )
>
> to the table schema.  No big deal, except that it seems Oracle can't use
> anything other than a simple column constraint.  He can't use any custom
> functions like he could in Postgres, and we've yet to find a solution to
> do what he needs.

well doing it that way is usually not a good idea at all (you cannot
actually use arbitrary queries in a CHECK constraint in pg either -
using a function to hide that is cheating the database - oracle might
actually be more(!) clever here not less ...). this why you can get into
all kind of weird situations with losing the integrity of your data or
running into serious issues during dump/restore for example.

What you need to do here is to use a trigger.

Stefan

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Kevin Hunter
Дата:
At 3:26p -0400 on 13 Jun 2007, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> The way that I currently know how to do this in Postgres is with
>> PLpgSQL functions.  Then I add something like
>>
>> CONSTRAINT away_team_is_playing CHECK ( NOT teamIsPlaying
>> ( awayteamid, timeid ) )
>>
>> to the table schema.
>
> well doing it that way is usually not a good idea at all (you
> cannot actually use arbitrary queries in a CHECK constraint in pg
> either - using a function to hide that is cheating the database -
> oracle might actually be more(!) clever here not less ...). this
> why you can get into all kind of weird situations with losing the
> integrity of your data or running into serious issues during dump/
> restore for example.

I was /hoping/ for a response like this!  Thanks!  Okay.  I'll bite.
Why can't they be used in general?  Is it the same problem that the
trigger has (below)?

> What you need to do here is to use a trigger.

 From online docs regarding Oracle, this is not 100% safe either:

(http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/appdev.101/b10795/
adfns_co.htm)
'To enforce this rule without integrity constraints, you can use a
trigger to query the department table and test that each new
employee's department is valid. But this method is less reliable than
the integrity constraint. SELECT in Oracle Database uses "consistent
read", so the query might miss uncommitted changes from other
transactions.'

It seems to me that there are certain situations where, especially in
a highly normalized data model, that you'd /have/ to have multiple
checks of even other tables.  What theory am I missing if this is not
the case?

(I'm curious as well for another project on which I'm working that
does use pg and currently uses a function in just this fashion.)

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 06/13/07 15:02, Kevin Hunter wrote:
[snip]

> 'To enforce this rule without integrity constraints, you can use a
> trigger to query the department table and test that each new employee's
> department is valid. But this method is less reliable than the integrity
> constraint. SELECT in Oracle Database uses "consistent read", so the
> query might miss uncommitted changes from other transactions.'

Isn't it *supposed* to mis UNcommitted changes from other transactions?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
"Joris Dobbelsteen"
Дата:

For constraints, you don't want that to happen obviously...
In fact, if you run serializable the problems are even bigger.

In Oracle you should use SELECT FOR UPDATE for such constraints. They do
interfere with concurrency a bit, but you can in fact guarentee you
constraints (to a certain better point). It does require a lot of
thought nevertheless and its troublesome to get right.

In PostGreSQL there are more limitations to guarenteeing such
constraint. You can go a long with with SELECT FOR SHARE, but you can
run into problems when using serializable isolation. It's a bit better
on concurrency (it seems), but cannot enforce the constraint up to the
level Oracle can.

It's a tricky subject, it requires a lot of work for a single
constraint. Also you must be very aware of the limitations of such
constructs, since many are impossible to guarentee at this point in
time. In general, the world is less concerned with it.

>It seems to me that there are certain situations where,
>especially in a highly normalized data model, that you'd
>/have/ to have multiple checks of even other tables.  What
>theory am I missing if this is not the case?
>
>(I'm curious as well for another project on which I'm working
>that does use pg and currently uses a function in just this fashion.)

They should use triggers. Also sometimes it possible to transform the
database schema in a way that you can enforce the constraint with
build-in (foreign key) constraints.

The general problem with these type of constraints is that they are
assumed to be true at ALL times. However it is possible to violate the
constraint, contradicting the assumption we just made. For triggers
there do not exist such assumptions.
Unless the database is going to support constraints with subqueries
(which is very hard to achieve and quite involved), we cannot rely on
the assuption that constraints are always true. In addition, don't
expect this type of support anytime soon on any opensource/commercial
database.

- Joris

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
PFC
Дата:
> Isn't it *supposed* to mis UNcommitted changes from other transactions?

    Well, if the "uncommited change" is a DELETE of the row that allowed the
constraint check to pass, then when this delete is commited, your data is
no longer consistent.

    Consider this :

CREATE TABLE A( attributes INT[], CHECK( is_valid_attributes( attributes
)) )

CREATE TABLE valid_attributes ( attribute_id INTEGER )

    You want to check that A.attributes is an array of values, the only
allowed values being stored in valid_attributes table. If you delete a row
in valid_attributes, many rows in A can become invalid unless you use some
form of trigger on valid_attributes which would start to look a lot like a
foreign key ON DELETE trigger. If you insert stuff in A while concurrently
deleting a row in valid_attributes, you have problems. This is why foreign
key checks take share locks on referenced tables...

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 06/13/07 16:59, PFC wrote:
>> Isn't it *supposed* to mis UNcommitted changes from other transactions?
>
>     Well, if the "uncommited change" is a DELETE of the row that allowed
> the constraint check to pass, then when this delete is commited, your
> data is no longer consistent.

The DELETE should block, no?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
PFC
Дата:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:09:20 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:

> On 06/13/07 16:59, PFC wrote:
>>> Isn't it *supposed* to mis UNcommitted changes from other transactions?
>>      Well, if the "uncommited change" is a DELETE of the row that
>> allowed the constraint check to pass, then when this delete is
>> commited, your data is no longer consistent.
>
> The DELETE should block, no?

    Why ?

    Foreign keys put an ON DELETE trigger on the referenced table besides
checking the referencing column on insert/update... If you just implement
a constraint, you only get half the functionality.

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 06/13/07 17:23, PFC wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:09:20 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> wrote:

>>>      Well, if the "uncommited change" is a DELETE of the row that
>>> allowed the constraint check to pass, then when this delete is
>>> commited, your data is no longer consistent.
>>
>> The DELETE should block, no?
>
>     Why ?
>
>     Foreign keys put an ON DELETE trigger on the referenced table

Foreign keys that silently, automatic DELETE records?

Did I read that correctly?

> besides checking the referencing column on insert/update... If you just
> implement a constraint, you only get half the functionality.

But when I define a FK *constraint*, that's all I *want*!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Kevin Hunter wrote:
> At 3:26p -0400 on 13 Jun 2007, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> The way that I currently know how to do this in Postgres is with
>>> PLpgSQL functions.  Then I add something like
>>>
>>> CONSTRAINT away_team_is_playing CHECK ( NOT teamIsPlaying(
>>> awayteamid, timeid ) )
>>>
>>> to the table schema.
>>
>> well doing it that way is usually not a good idea at all (you cannot
>> actually use arbitrary queries in a CHECK constraint in pg either -
>> using a function to hide that is cheating the database - oracle might
>> actually be more(!) clever here not less ...). this why you can get
>> into all kind of weird situations with losing the integrity of your
>> data or running into serious issues during dump/restore for example.
>
> I was /hoping/ for a response like this!  Thanks!  Okay.  I'll bite.
> Why can't they be used in general?  Is it the same problem that the
> trigger has (below)?

ok consider the following scenario:

you have table A with a check constraint saying the a given column
depends on the result of some arbitrary queries on table B (maybe
something as simple as "this flag can only be set to true if there are
at least 5 items of this kind in table B).
So after a while you added some data to both tables and A has set that
column to true for a few rows. Now you manipulate B in a way that woudl
cause maybe one constraint to fail in A IF and only IF it get's reevaluated.
One day later your server decides to commit suicide - so you get the
spare one dig out the backup from the day before and try to restore that
dump.
First you will get the schema restored from the backup - next all the
data will be put in into the tables and then ? "Booooom".
The third major step in restoring the database is readding all
constraints - if the CHECK constraint get's readded it will get
evaluated by the database fully (ie row-by-row) - but because your data
is inconsistent you will get a constraint violation on the now
inconsistent data ...
The trigger would avoid that restore problem because it would not be
invoked in a similiar fashion (ie they "trigger" on UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT
which are already done at that point of the restore).
That is just one of the most obvious failures - trying to implement that
kind of "arbitrary complex query based foreign-key like" constraint is
always very difficult.

>> What you need to do here is to use a trigger.
>
> From online docs regarding Oracle, this is not 100% safe either:
>
> (http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/appdev.101/b10795/adfns_co.htm)
>
> 'To enforce this rule without integrity constraints, you can use a
> trigger to query the department table and test that each new employee's
> department is valid. But this method is less reliable than the integrity
> constraint. SELECT in Oracle Database uses "consistent read", so the
> query might miss uncommitted changes from other transactions.'
>
> It seems to me that there are certain situations where, especially in a
> highly normalized data model, that you'd /have/ to have multiple checks
> of even other tables.  What theory am I missing if this is not the case?

well - the main point why the trigger is better is because it will cause
you less operational issues, what it cannot guarantee you either is that
 you cannot manipulate table B in a way that would violate the checking
logic of your constraint in table A (well you could use a trigger on A
to validate that in the other direction - but that opens up another big
can of worms).
The best way is to design your schema in a way that you can use real
foreign key constraints to enforce various things or CHECK constraints
that only deal with data in the very same row(ie neither do queries on
other tables nor depend on OTHER rows than the one that is manipulated
in the same table).

Stefan

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
PFC
Дата:
>>> The DELETE should block, no?
>>      Why ?
>>      Foreign keys put an ON DELETE trigger on the referenced table
>
> Foreign keys that silently, automatic DELETE records?
> Did I read that correctly?

    Isn't that the point of ON DELETE CASCADE ?

>> besides checking the referencing column on insert/update... If you just
>> implement a constraint, you only get half the functionality.
>
> But when I define a FK *constraint*, that's all I *want*!

    When you add a REFERENCE foo( bar ) foreign key and don't specify ON
DELETE clause, I believe you get ON DELETE NO ACTION, which means the
referenced row can't be deleted if there are referencing rows...  so when
you have a FK constraint, it actually constrains two tables, and pg uses
share locking to ensure race conditions can't cause an inconsistent
database.

Re: pointer to feature comparisons, please

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 06/14/07 02:24, PFC wrote:

>>>      Why ?
>>>      Foreign keys put an ON DELETE trigger on the referenced table
>>
>> Foreign keys that silently, automatic DELETE records?
>> Did I read that correctly?
>
>     Isn't that the point of ON DELETE CASCADE ?

Where'd that come from?  Did I miss something in the thread?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA