Обсуждение: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
"dfx"
Дата:
I tryied it but get errors on create user postgres.

Is there some workaround?

Thank you

Domenico

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
dfx <dfx@dfx.it> schrieb:

> I tryied it but get errors on create user postgres.
>
> Is there some workaround?

I'm not familiar with this crappy OS, but maybe you should disable UAC.

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> dfx <dfx@dfx.it> schrieb:
>
>> I tryied it but get errors on create user postgres.
>>
>> Is there some workaround?
>
> I'm not familiar with this crappy OS, but maybe you should disable UAC.

In your mind, it may be crappy but it is indeed an officially supported
operating system by this project. Let's keep our responses kind shall we.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> schrieb:

> >>I tryied it but get errors on create user postgres.
> >>Is there some workaround?
> >I'm not familiar with this crappy OS, but maybe you should disable UAC.
>
> In your mind, it may be crappy but it is indeed an officially supported
> operating system by this project. Let's keep our responses kind shall we.

Yes, of course, no problem.

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Lee Keel
Дата:
The first thing you have to do is disable the User Access Control.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entityto whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message
containsconfidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
shouldnot disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
At 01:58 AM 6/22/2007, dfx wrote:
>I tryied it but get errors on create user postgres.
>
>Is there some workaround?

Upgrade to Windows XP SP2? Or Win2K?

Regards,
Link.

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
"D.J. Heap"
Дата:
On 6/21/07, Lee Keel <lee.keel@uai.com> wrote:
> The first thing you have to do is disable the User Access Control.

No you don't, actually.  Just start the installer from an elevated
command prompt (Right-click on Command Prompt in the start menu and
choose Run As Administrator, change to the installer directory and
'start whatever.msi').

DJ

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
D.J. Heap wrote:
> On 6/21/07, Lee Keel <lee.keel@uai.com> wrote:
>> The first thing you have to do is disable the User Access Control.
>>

> No you don't, actually.  Just start the installer from an elevated
> command prompt (Right-click on Command Prompt in the start menu and
> choose Run As Administrator, change to the installer directory and
> 'start whatever.msi').

Except the administrator account is disabled by default on Vista.

Regards, Dave

Dave Page wrote:
> D.J. Heap wrote:
>> On 6/21/07, Lee Keel <lee.keel@uai.com> wrote:
>>> The first thing you have to do is disable the User Access Control.
>>>

>> No you don't, actually.  Just start the installer from an elevated
>> command prompt (Right-click on Command Prompt in the start menu and
>> choose Run As Administrator, change to the installer directory and
>> 'start whatever.msi').
>
> Except the administrator account is disabled by default on Vista.

Huh? What I am confused about, and I don't pretend in anyway to
understand Vista but I just bought my wife a new vista machine and the
default user (the one created during setup) was an Administrator.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Except the administrator account is disabled by default on Vista.
>
> Huh? What I am confused about, and I don't pretend in anyway to
> understand Vista but I just bought my wife a new vista machine and the
> default user (the one created during setup) was an Administrator.

*An* administrator, not *the* administrator. Think of it in terms of
root being disabled, with your wife having 'sudo <nearly anything>' access.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> Except the administrator account is disabled by default on Vista.
>>
>> Huh? What I am confused about, and I don't pretend in anyway to
>> understand Vista but I just bought my wife a new vista machine and the
>> default user (the one created during setup) was an Administrator.
>
> *An* administrator, not *the* administrator. Think of it in terms of
> root being disabled, with your wife having 'sudo <nearly anything>' access.

O.k. that makes much more sense. Thanks.

BTW, and this is completely off topic but Vista really doesn't seem
nearly as bad as all the geeks would make it out to be. It seems a nice
evolutionary step ... although it seems a step toward MacOSX ;)

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards, Dave.

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> BTW, and this is completely off topic but Vista really doesn't seem
> nearly as bad as all the geeks would make it out to be. It seems a nice
> evolutionary step ... although it seems a step toward MacOSX ;)

Oh it's certainly got nice eye candy, and is quite easy for the newbie
to use, but UAC is a pita (I refer you back to the ECPG update
regression check hoohaa). Maybe it's because I use a Mac 50% of the time
though...

/D

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
"D.J. Heap"
Дата:
On 6/22/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
[snip]

> Except the administrator account is disabled by default on Vista.

What do you mean?

If you logon as an administrator then by default Vista drops a lot of
priviledges, but you can get them back to execute a program that
requires them by using the 'Run as administrator' right-click menu
item (which is on the right-click menu for most things you can run,
but not .msi's which is why you have to run them from an elevated
command prompt).

AFAIK, all the 'Run as administrator' menu item does is give you back
your full admin rights if you are an admin (or else it will ask you
for an admin user and password) and then run the program in that
context.

In any case, using an elevated command prompt has worked fine for me
with the postgres 8.2.4 installer on 2 different Vista machines and
has worked for other msi's that otherwise fail as well.

Does it not work for you?

DJ

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
D.J. Heap wrote:
> On 6/22/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Except the administrator account is disabled by default on Vista.
>>
> What do you mean?

Exactly what I wrote. By default, the .\Administrator account is
disabled on Vista so you cannot login to it, or runas it. It's easy to
re-enable from the Users and Groups MMC snapin of course.

> If you logon as an administrator then by default Vista drops a lot of
> priviledges, but you can get them back to execute a program that
> requires them by using the 'Run as administrator' right-click menu
> item (which is on the right-click menu for most things you can run,
> but not .msi's which is why you have to run them from an elevated
> command prompt).
>
> AFAIK, all the 'Run as administrator' menu item does is give you back
> your full admin rights if you are an admin (or else it will ask you
> for an admin user and password) and then run the program in that
> context.
>
> In any case, using an elevated command prompt has worked fine for me
> with the postgres 8.2.4 installer on 2 different Vista machines and
> has worked for other msi's that otherwise fail as well.
>
> Does it not work for you?

I'm not saying what you suggest won't work, only that you cannot do it
on an out-of-the-box install.

For the record, I've updated the installer for 8.3 to properly work with
UAC.

Regards, Dave.

Re: How to install Postgresql on MS Vista?

От
"D.J. Heap"
Дата:
On 6/22/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
[snip]

> Exactly what I wrote. By default, the .\Administrator account is
> disabled on Vista so you cannot login to it, or runas it. It's easy to
> re-enable from the Users and Groups MMC snapin of course.

Ah yes, but I don't recall doing anything special during Vista
installation and it still made my personal user an administrator so I
have never needed to use 'the' administrator account.  Perhaps I told
it to make me an admin during installation, but I don't think so.

[snip]

> I'm not saying what you suggest won't work, only that you cannot do it
> on an out-of-the-box install.

That has not been my experience, but as I said above, perhaps I told
it to make me an admin during installation -- I don't recall for sure.

> For the record, I've updated the installer for 8.3 to properly work with
> UAC.

Great, thank you!

DJ