Обсуждение: Move a database from one server to other

Move a database from one server to other

От
Adrián Ribao Martínez
Дата:
Hello, I have to move all the data in my actual server to the new one.
I have several databases in postgresql, and I'd like to know the best way to
move them.
I thoung that maybe copying all the data directory... but I'm not sure, and I
don't know where it's stored.
I'd apreciate your help.

Thank you very much.

Re: Move a database from one server to other

От
"Nicholas Barr"
Дата:
> Hello, I have to move all the data in my actual server to the new one.
> I have several databases in postgresql, and I'd like to know the best way
> move them.
> I thoung that maybe copying all the data directory... but I'm not sure,
> and I
> don't know where it's stored.
> I'd apreciate your help.
>
> Thank you very much.

Only copy the data directory if both servers are offline and not running
and if both servers use the same version of postgres. This method is not
recommended AFAIK.

It is much much safer to use pg_dump/pg_restore and know that your data is
consistent.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/backup-dump.html

Nick

Re: Move a database from one server to other

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
Nicholas Barr writes:

> It is much much safer to use pg_dump/pg_restore and know that your data is
> consistent.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/backup-dump.html

In particular look at the section
23.1.2. Using pg_dumpall

That will copy your entire data set including users.

Re: Move a database from one server to other

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jun 25, 2007, at 10:44 , Nicholas Barr wrote:

> Only copy the data directory if both servers are offline and not
> running
> and if both servers use the same version of postgres.

... and have the same architecture. As you note, copying the data
directory is *not* the recommended way to do this. Use pg_dump[all]
or something like Slony.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: Move a database from one server to other

От
ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee)
Дата:
In article <24916.62.244.190.66.1182786241.squirrel@www.chuckie.co.uk>,
Nicholas Barr <nicky@chuckie.co.uk> wrote:

% Only copy the data directory if both servers are offline and not running
% and if both servers use the same version of postgres. This method is not
% recommended AFAIK.

It _is_ recommended for setting up a warm-standby server (it's the only way).

I copy database clusters around all the time. If the database is shut down,
there's no harm in it and it's usually faster and always simpler than
dump/restore. Copying a snapshot of a running system only has a teenly
little bit of harm in it and you don't even have to shut down the db.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York  Canada