Обсуждение: Unexpected crash

Unexpected crash

От
"Mikko Partio"
Дата:
Hello all,

I installed the latest version from rpms and everythings ok, except when I connect to a db with psql and press shift+return the backend crashes with "Segmentation fault"! I guess the problem is with my installation but I don't know how to debug. It's not a very disconcerning thing per se, but I wonder what other surprises might be hiding behind the scenes.

test2=> select version();
                                                   version
 PostgreSQL 8.2.4 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-58)
(1 row)

relevant log line:

Jul 19 08:33:36 mihin postgres[24584]: [2-1] LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

Regards

MP

Re: Unexpected crash

Дата:
"Mikko Partio" <mpartio@gmail.com> writes:
> I installed the latest version from rpms and everythings ok, except when I
> connect to a db with psql and press shift+return the backend crashes with
> "Segmentation fault"!

This is not a "backend crash", you are SIGQUIT-ing your psql session.
Check your terminal settings, because that's not the usual key
combination for SIGQUIT.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Unexpected crash

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Mikko Partio wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I installed the latest version from rpms and everythings ok, except when I
> connect to a db with psql and press shift+return the backend crashes with
> "Segmentation fault"! I guess the problem is with my installation but I
> don't know how to debug. It's not a very disconcerning thing per se, but I
> wonder what other surprises might be hiding behind the scenes.

Hmm. Very odd.

> test2=> select version();
>                                                   version
>
> PostgreSQL 8.2.4 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
> 3.2.320030502 (Red Hat Linux
> 3.2.3-58)
> (1 row)

OK. This is RH Enterprise Server, then?

> relevant log line:
>
> Jul 19 08:33:36 mihin postgres[24584]: [2-1] LOG:  unexpected EOF on client
> connection

That's not a backend crash, that's just saying the client disconnected
unexpectedly. That implies a client (psql) crash. Is there a server
log-line saying you have a sig-11 crash?

What's puzzling me is why shift+return is different from just plain
return (which presumably works). I'd suspect readline or similar. Try
something like "rpm -q --requires postgresql-client" (you'll need to
check the details, haven't used rpm much recently) to see what packages
psql is depending on. Then just check they look OK for your installation.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Unexpected crash

От
"Mikko Partio"

"Mikko Partio" <mpartio@gmail.com> writes:
> I installed the latest version from rpms and everythings ok, except when I
> connect to a db with psql and press shift+return the backend crashes with
> "Segmentation fault"!

This is not a "backend crash", you are SIGQUIT-ing your psql session.
Check your terminal settings, because that's not the usual key
combination for SIGQUIT.

                        regards, tom lane

You are right (as usual). I tried with a another terminal and it didn't produce the same effects. Thanks a lot.

Regards

MP

Re: Unexpected crash

От
"Mikko Partio"

On 7/19/07, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
Mikko Partio wrote:

OK. This is RH Enterprise Server, then?

Yes.
cat /etc/issue

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 8)
Kernel \r on an \m

Is there a server log-line saying you have a sig-11 crash?

No that is the only line (with verbosity DEBUG2).

What's puzzling me is why shift+return is different from just plain
return (which presumably works). I'd suspect readline or similar. Try
something like "rpm -q --requires postgresql-client" (you'll need to
check the details, haven't used rpm much recently) to see what packages
psql is depending on. Then just check they look OK for your installation.

Here's the results for that query but I don't know how interpret them:

rpm -q --requires postgresql-8.2.4

/sbin/ldconfig
initscripts
libc.so.6