Обсуждение: Max File size per Table (1G limit??)

Max File size per Table (1G limit??)

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
I just browsed to my $PGDATA location and noticed that there are some
tables which has ending of .1

# ls -lahS | egrep '(24694|24702|24926)'
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1.0G Sep  3 22:56 24694
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1.0G Sep  3 22:52 24702
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1.0G Sep  3 22:58 24926
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 800M Sep  3 22:57 24694.1
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 161M Sep  3 22:52 24702.1
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres  12M Sep  3 22:58 24926.1

I'm wondering what are these since I've not set up table partitioning
just yet.

Re: Max File size per Table (1G limit??)

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
On 9/3/07, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com> wrote:
> I just browsed to my $PGDATA location and noticed that there are some
> tables which has ending of .1
>
> # ls -lahS | egrep '(24694|24702|24926)'
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1.0G Sep  3 22:56 24694
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1.0G Sep  3 22:52 24702
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1.0G Sep  3 22:58 24926
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 800M Sep  3 22:57 24694.1
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 161M Sep  3 22:52 24702.1
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres  12M Sep  3 22:58 24926.1
>
> I'm wondering what are these since I've not set up table partitioning
> just yet.

postgres uses datafiles from up to 1GB, if a table has more data than
that limit then postgres creates more files.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/storage-file-layout.html

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook

Re: Max File size per Table (1G limit??)

Дата:
Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com> writes:
> I just browsed to my $PGDATA location and noticed that there are some
> tables which has ending of .1

TFM has some useful background knowledge for that sort of thing:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/storage.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: Max File size per Table (1G limit??)

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
> Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com> writes:
> > I just browsed to my $PGDATA location and noticed that there are some
> > tables which has ending of .1
>
> TFM has some useful background knowledge for that sort of thing:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/storage.html

Thanks for the pointers. I now understand it a _bit_ better.

BTW, besides the reason for compatibility for filesystems, does this
give the ability for PG to only read through the file which has the data
instead of transversing from main to .1 to .2 etc??

Stupid question maybe..