Обсуждение: Partition Reindexing

Partition Reindexing

От
Nik
Дата:
What is the effect of reindexing a partition on the inherited table?

For example I have a table 'test' with partitions 'test_01_07',
'test_02_07', 'test_03_07', 'test_04_07', corresponding to data from
January 2007, February 2007, and so on. I noticed that when I run a
reindex on 'test_02_07' (with a large index ~3Gb) the inserts into
'test_04_07' are extremely slow eventually locking up the entire
database.

Is there a way I could run the reindexing/vacuuming/analyzing
processes without affecting the rest of the partitions?

This is on PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Windows 2003 Advanced Server.

Re: Partition Reindexing

От
"Rodrigo De León"
Дата:
On 9/4/07, Nik <XLPizza@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is on PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Windows 2003 Advanced Server.

Only 8.2 or newer has CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY.

Maybe you could schedule a maintenance window for this.

Inherited FK Indexing

От
Ketema Harris
Дата:
I have the following table set up:

CREATE TABLE states
(
   state_id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval
('state_province_id_seq'::regclass),
   state character(2),
   full_name character varying,
   timezone character varying,
   CONSTRAINT "PK_state_id" PRIMARY KEY (state_id)
)

CREATE TABLE canadian_provinces
(
-- Inherited:   state_id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval
('state_province_id_seq'::regclass),
-- Inherited:   state character(2),
-- Inherited:   full_name character varying,
-- Inherited:   timezone character varying,
   CONSTRAINT "PK_province_id" PRIMARY KEY (state_id)
)

as expected I can do select * from states and get everything out of
the child table as well.  What I can't do is create a FK to the
states table and have it look in the child table as well.  Is this on
purpose?  Is it possible to have  FK that spans into child tables?

Thanks

Re: Inherited FK Indexing

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 9/14/07, Ketema Harris <ketema@ketema.net> wrote:
> I have the following table set up:
>
> CREATE TABLE states
> (
>    state_id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval
> ('state_province_id_seq'::regclass),
>    state character(2),
>    full_name character varying,
>    timezone character varying,
>    CONSTRAINT "PK_state_id" PRIMARY KEY (state_id)
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE canadian_provinces
> (
> -- Inherited:   state_id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval
> ('state_province_id_seq'::regclass),
> -- Inherited:   state character(2),
> -- Inherited:   full_name character varying,
> -- Inherited:   timezone character varying,
>    CONSTRAINT "PK_province_id" PRIMARY KEY (state_id)
> )
>
> as expected I can do select * from states and get everything out of
> the child table as well.  What I can't do is create a FK to the
> states table and have it look in the child table as well.  Is this on
> purpose?

Not so much on purpose as an artifact of the design process.
PostgreSQL can't span multiple tables with indexes, a unique one of
which is required for a FK to point to a field.

>  Is it possible to have  FK that spans into child tables?

Not really.  You might be able to write your own function that
approximates such behavior.  I would think some kind of intermediate
table with every value from all the children for that one column could
be used, but performance would suffer.

Re: Inherited FK Indexing

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Friday 14 September 2007, Ketema Harris <ketema@ketema.net> wrote:
> as expected I can do select * from states and get everything out of
> the child table as well.  What I can't do is create a FK to the
> states table and have it look in the child table as well.  Is this on
> purpose?  Is it possible to have  FK that spans into child tables?

No.

--
The only difference between conservatives and liberals regarding budget cuts
is tense. Conservatives say they will cut the budget, and then they increase

Re: Inherited FK Indexing

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Sep 14, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Ketema Harris wrote:

> I have the following table set up:
>
> CREATE TABLE states
> (
>   state_id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval
> ('state_province_id_seq'::regclass),
>   state character(2),
>   full_name character varying,
>   timezone character varying,
>   CONSTRAINT "PK_state_id" PRIMARY KEY (state_id)
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE canadian_provinces
> (
> -- Inherited:   state_id integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval
> ('state_province_id_seq'::regclass),
> -- Inherited:   state character(2),
> -- Inherited:   full_name character varying,
> -- Inherited:   timezone character varying,
>   CONSTRAINT "PK_province_id" PRIMARY KEY (state_id)
> )
>
> as expected I can do select * from states and get everything out of
> the child table as well.  What I can't do is create a FK to the
> states table and have it look in the child table as well.  Is this
> on purpose?  Is it possible to have  FK that spans into child tables?

I'm assuming you just left out an INHERITS clause or ALTER TABLE
statement to add the inheritance?  Anyways, the answer to your
question is no, you'll need to create any dependencies to child
tables separately.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Re: Inherited FK Indexing

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Hi,

Ketema Harris wrote:
> as expected I can do select * from states and get everything out of the
> child table as well.  What I can't do is create a FK to the states table
> and have it look in the child table as well.  Is this on purpose?  Is it
> possible to have  FK that spans into child tables?

This is a well known (and documented, see [1]) deficiency. It's due to
the current implementation of indices, which are bound to exactly one
table, meaning they do return a position within the table, but cannot
point to different tables.

Regards

Markus

[1]: Postgres Documentation, Chapter 5.8.1 Caveats (of Inheritance):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/ddl-inherit.html