Обсуждение: postmaster logfile

postmaster logfile

От
"Gauthier, Dave"

What’s a good way to start the postmaster, send the log info to a logfile somewhere, and return the linux prompt?

v8.2.0 on suse64

Thanks

-dave

Re: postmaster logfile

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Dec 3, 2007 2:35 PM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:

> What's a good way to start the postmaster, send the log info to a logfile
> somewhere, and return the linux prompt?

Use whatever startup script comes with the pacakge for your OS.  I.e.
in redhat or suse you should have a postgresql script that lives in
/etc/init.d/ that gets symlinked to the appropriate /etc/rc.d/rcx.d
directory.

> v8.2.0 on suse64

You should really be running at least 8.2.4, preferable 8.2.5.  8.2.0
has some nasty bugs.

Re: postmaster logfile

От
"Gauthier, Dave"
Дата:
Well, I can start the server with....

postmaster -D /myplace/db

... and then...
^z
bg

... to get to the prompt.  But each/every time a message from the
postmaster gets logged, it goes to stdout of the current window.  I want
it to go to a logfile.  Attempts to redirect with "&" all seem to fail.
"postmaster -d myplace/db -l logfile start" (as was in the message right
after the initial db create) doesn't seem to work.

I'll request v8.2.5.  Thanks for the advise.

-dave

> What's a good way to start the postmaster, send the log info to a
logfile
> somewhere, and return the linux prompt?

Use whatever startup script comes with the pacakge for your OS.  I.e.
in redhat or suse you should have a postgresql script that lives in
/etc/init.d/ that gets symlinked to the appropriate /etc/rc.d/rcx.d
directory.

> v8.2.0 on suse64

You should really be running at least 8.2.4, preferable 8.2.5.  8.2.0
has some nasty bugs.

Re: postmaster logfile

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Gauthier, Dave escribió:
> Well, I can start the server with....
>
> postmaster -D /myplace/db
>
> ... and then...
> ^z
> bg
>
> ... to get to the prompt.  But each/every time a message from the
> postmaster gets logged, it goes to stdout of the current window.  I want
> it to go to a logfile.  Attempts to redirect with "&" all seem to fail.
> "postmaster -d myplace/db -l logfile start" (as was in the message right
> after the initial db create) doesn't seem to work.

Enable the redirect_stderr config option in postgresql.conf.  That
should do the trick.  You can change the log file name and directory
on postgresql.conf too.

initdb doesn't say you can use -l in postmaster; it is talking about
pg_ctl.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"MySQL is a toy compared to PostgreSQL."             (Randal L. Schwartz)