Обсуждение: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.

PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm is a set of Xen instances which includes all
combinations of RHEL/CentOS 3,4,5 and Fedora 7,8  with 32 and 64 bit
architectures, as well as all PostgreSQL major releases. More will come
later. RPM users will be able to find all the combinations from now on,
even if it is not supported by the OS itself. For example, if you want
to run PostgreSQL 8.2 on RHEL 5, and also want to run Slony-I compiled
on this platform against this PostgreSQL release, want to analyze your
logs with pgfouine, and run ptop , PGDG RPM Building Project will
provide you all the binaries. Also, in near future, we will be able to
have daily packages, based on the CVS versions of each major release.

Another announcement regarding the new PGDG RPM yum repository will
follow soon, which is a native result of this RPM buildfarm.

Special thanks go to Darcy Buskermolen, my colleague at Command Prompt,
for providing hardware, building Xen infastructure and spending
countless, countless and countless hours on it. Thanks Darcy. (Thanks
again).

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Jan 7, 2008 12:57 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.

This is very very very cool!  Thanks you guys.

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 12:57 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.
>
> This is very very very cool!  Thanks you guys.

I'll second that, and I'm a Debian type of chap :-)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.

Where is it?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.
>
> Where is it?

You mean the server? Here it is:

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmbuildfarm.php

:-)

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Jan 7, 2008 4:32 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.
> >
> > Where is it?
>
> You mean the server? Here it is:
>
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmbuildfarm.php

Ha!  I thought I was the only person with a spare power supply hanging
outside an old server...   I've got an older box with like 6 300Gig
drives I use as a media server and it's rigged up pretty similarly.
I'm thinking of making some holes in the bottom and permanently
mounting the old power supply but I can never put the case on because
I have a 12" fan sitting outside the machine keeping all those drives
cool.

Note:  That's my home server, nothing like that at work. :)

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:32:27 -0800
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.
> >
> > Where is it?
>
> You mean the server? Here it is:
>
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmbuildfarm.php

Cool. How do you sync the power supplies?

And thanks for the work.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Darcy Buskermolen
Дата:
On Monday 07 January 2008 15:03:52 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:32:27 -0800
>
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Where is it?
> >
> > You mean the server? Here it is:
> >
> > http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmbuildfarm.php
>
> Cool. How do you sync the power supplies?

To be fair the PS that is mounted in the case it had a problem, so the loose
one was there to get things up and running quickly.  Actually the entire
system is just temporary, it's destined to be moved into a rack mount
enclosure once the new botherboard arrives.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Jan 7, 2008 5:03 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:32:27 -0800
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > > Where is it?
> >
> > You mean the server? Here it is:
> >
> > http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmbuildfarm.php
>
> Cool. How do you sync the power supplies?
>
> And thanks for the work.

Don't know about Devrim, but I just turn on the secondary PS first,
then the machine second.  Works fine.

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Jan 7, 2008 5:15 PM, Darcy Buskermolen <darcyb@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 15:03:52 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:32:27 -0800
> >
> > Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > You mean the server? Here it is:
> > >
> > > http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmbuildfarm.php
> >
> > Cool. How do you sync the power supplies?
>
> To be fair the PS that is mounted in the case it had a problem, so the loose
> one was there to get things up and running quickly.  Actually the entire
> system is just temporary, it's destined to be moved into a rack mount
> enclosure once the new botherboard arrives.

hehe.  no bother.

Did you know that the first year Babylon 5 was on the air their render
farm consisted of 8 Amiga-2000s with 68040-50MHz CPU cards with the
covers removed and 14" fans strapped to the top of the open cases to
keep them cool.  They ran 24 hours a day for months on end like that.
Ugly, but it worked.

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Darcy Buskermolen
Дата:
On Monday 07 January 2008 15:23:46 you wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 5:15 PM, Darcy Buskermolen <darcyb@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 07 January 2008 15:03:52 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> > > Cool. How do you sync the power supplies?
> >
> > To be fair the PS that is mounted in the case it had a problem, so the
> > loose one was there to get things up and running quickly.  Actually the
> > entire system is just temporary, it's destined to be moved into a rack
> > mount enclosure once the new botherboard arrives.
>
> hehe.  no bother.

I thought it should be at least documented that this is not how we view the
importance of this work as simply bailing twine and ducttape.. Though both
are perfectaly acceptable solutions for a lot of things :-)

> Did you know that the first year Babylon 5 was on the air their render
> farm consisted of 8 Amiga-2000s with 68040-50MHz CPU cards with the
> covers removed and 14" fans strapped to the top of the open cases to
> keep them cool.  They ran 24 hours a day for months on end like that.
> Ugly, but it worked.

Not much different than how google's search farm was built out either.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.
+1.503.667.4564 X 102
http://www.commandprompt.com/
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
mgainty@hotmail.com
Дата:
what is a botherboard?

--

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 19:12 -0500, mgainty@hotmail.com wrote:
> what is a botherboard?

Brotherboard -- motherboard is a bit old.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
--- On Mon, 1/7/08, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com> wrote:

> wrote:
> > what is a botherboard?
>
> Brotherboard -- motherboard is a bit old.

Maybe a Freudian slip? ;)

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
CaT
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:54:46PM -0800, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > what is a botherboard?
> >
> > Brotherboard -- motherboard is a bit old.
>
> Maybe a Freudian slip? ;)

His brother is his mother?

Man... that's just weird.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:13 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 12:57 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > I want to announce PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm today.
>
> This is very very very cool!  Thanks you guys.

Ultra Even. No more mucking about for RPMS and finally a ptop in RPM
form.

Devrim, can you also package up pgpool-II-2.0.1? The .spec file you have
in the tarball is destined for beta1 of pgpool and your website's rpm is
till version 1.3

I've hacked your .spec file a bit and gotten it installed, in anycase.

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 13:34 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> finally a ptop in RPM form.

I packaged it last month, but did not announce it to public.:)

> Devrim, can you also package up pgpool-II-2.0.1? The .spec file you
> have in the tarball is destined for beta1 of pgpool and your website's
> rpm is till version 1.3
>
> I've hacked your .spec file a bit and gotten it installed, in anycase.

Well, I pushed 2.0.1 to Fedora-9 (rawhide). I want to test it for a few
days, and will build it Fedora 8 early next week. For other distros:
Yes, it will be available in the yum repository soon.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:54 -0800, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 13:34 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > finally a ptop in RPM form.
>
> I packaged it last month, but did not announce it to public.:)

Hmm.. can I find it in the same location as the pgpool rpms?

> > Devrim, can you also package up pgpool-II-2.0.1? The .spec file you
> > have in the tarball is destined for beta1 of pgpool and your website's
> > rpm is till version 1.3
> >
> > I've hacked your .spec file a bit and gotten it installed, in anycase.
>
> Well, I pushed 2.0.1 to Fedora-9 (rawhide). I want to test it for a few
> days, and will build it Fedora 8 early next week. For other distros:
> Yes, it will be available in the yum repository soon.

I was building it for Centos 4. (You have no idea how screwed up it was
for me, tearing out my hair because I can't get it to work as advertised
and then I found out that the version I was using, 2.0.1(pulled from
rpmforge) was actually pgpool-I (and not pgpool-II) and it just so
happens to have the same version number.)

When I _did_ find out, it was a simple matter to get it to work.

I've already rolled the RPM into my production master for master/slave
load balancing. (feature complete for my purpose)

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 14:15 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I packaged it last month, but did not announce it to public.:)
>
> Hmm.. can I find it in the same location as the pgpool rpms?

No, please wait until it appears in our yum repository.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Announcing PostgreSQL RPM Buildfarm