Обсуждение: psql /usr/lib/libgcc dependency in pg 8.3

psql /usr/lib/libgcc dependency in pg 8.3

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
I notice that when I build 8.3.1 psql on OS X (10.5.2) there is now a
library dependency on /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib even though I
specified "--without-readline" in configure. I don't see this
dependency with psql 8.2. Is there a way to remove this library
requirement in the build? I want to build a binary that will run on
10.3 and I don't think it has /usr/lib/libgcc.

Thanks,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: psql /usr/lib/libgcc dependency in pg 8.3

Дата:
John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> writes:
> I notice that when I build 8.3.1 psql on OS X (10.5.2) there is now a
> library dependency on /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib even though I
> specified "--without-readline" in configure.

Whatever would make you think that readline has anything to do with
that?

> I want to build a binary that will run on
> 10.3 and I don't think it has /usr/lib/libgcc.

I seem to recall there's some sort of compatibility stuff for building
back-compatible binaries on the Xcode disk, but it's not installed
by default.

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql /usr/lib/libgcc dependency in pg 8.3

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Mar 26, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Whatever would make you think that readline has anything to do with
> that?

Just an uneducated guess because long ago not adding that flag
required additional library dependencies. I forgot to include that
when I compiled the first time and there was no error. I used to have
to tell it explicitly where to find the readline library.

>> I want to build a binary that will run on
>> 10.3 and I don't think it has /usr/lib/libgcc.
>
> I seem to recall there's some sort of compatibility stuff for building
> back-compatible binaries on the Xcode disk, but it's not installed
> by default.

OK, so it is really and XCode issue and nothing that changed with 8.3.

Thanks,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: psql /usr/lib/libgcc dependency in pg 8.3

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:58:25PM -0400, John DeSoi wrote:
> I notice that when I build 8.3.1 psql on OS X (10.5.2) there is now a
> library dependency on /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib.

It appears to be a support library for gcc for certain routines that
are architecture specific or language specific like stack unwinding,
etc. Apparently if gcc is compiled to know that the runtime can do it
(ie, you're using glibc) then gcc can be configured without it.

There is apparently a -static-libgcc option if you dont want to use the
shared version.

Have a nice day,