Обсуждение: GSoC Proposal: PL/Mono

GSoC Proposal: PL/Mono

От
"Olexandr Melnyk"
Дата:
Hello,

I'm interested in applying for this year's GSoC program, to work on PL/Mono: pluggable procedural language for PostgreSQL. The main purpose of the project is to allow programmers to write stored procedures for PostgreSQL database in one of the languages that are supported by Mono platform (similar to how they can do it with PL/Perl and PL/Python).

As I remember from the past, such attempt already existed and was hosted at pgFoundry, but I can't find any files related to it. Does anyone know about its status?

I would also like to hear some feedback about the idea (and its usefulness) in general.

--
Sincerely yours,
Olexandr Melnyk <><

--
Sincerely yours,
Olexandr Melnyk

Re: GSoC Proposal: PL/Mono

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Olexandr Melnyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in applying for this year's GSoC program, to work on PL/Mono:
> pluggable procedural language for PostgreSQL. The main purpose of the
> project is to allow programmers to write stored procedures for PostgreSQL
> database in one of the languages that are supported by Mono platform
> (similar to how they can do it with PL/Perl and PL/Python).

 From the google site -
We will begin accepting student applications on Monday, March 24th; the
deadline for student applications is Monday, March 31, 2008. Please see
the program timeline for specific deadline times.

You have less than two days to get your application in.

> As I remember from the past, such attempt already existed and was hosted at
> pgFoundry, but I can't find any files related to it. Does anyone know about
> its status?

 From what I can find it is a dead project and probably was lost in the
transfers from the gborg to pgfoundry switch.

If you want the old project as a starting point you will need to find
someone that has a copy of it. (or who has backups of gborg cvs)

Try a search of the mailing list archives for pl/mono and you will find
a few threads on it. A couple of them might help you find someone with a
copy of it.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: GSoC Proposal: PL/Mono

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Olexandr Melnyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in applying for this year's GSoC program, to work on
> PL/Mono: pluggable procedural language for PostgreSQL. The main
> purpose of the project is to allow programmers to write stored
> procedures for PostgreSQL database in one of the languages that are
> supported by Mono platform (similar to how they can do it with
> PL/Perl and PL/Python).
>
> As I remember from the past, such attempt already existed and was
> hosted at pgFoundry, but I can't find any files related to it. Does
> anyone know about its status?
>
> I would also like to hear some feedback about the idea (and its
> usefulness) in general.

I think it would be a nice thing to have. It's not going to be easy to
implement (compare it to the different java efforts, which are
probably the closest things to this one), but it should certainly be
doable. A few things to consider:

* Consider the PL/J vs PL/Java implementation models. You'll need to
pick in-proc or out-of-proc. With in-proc, you have the whole
mono-is-threaded thing to go through.

* It would be nice, if it's possible, so support the native .net
framework on win32, and not just Mono. Tohugh Mono runs on Windows
(AFAIK), the windows users will be happier if you can use the one that
comes with the OS. I don't know exactly how much is going to be
required for this.

* You should look at how SQL Server implements stored procs in .net. If
it makes sense, consider using similar syntax, since this would likely
be something that's attractive to people coming from MSSQL.

My recollection of the previous effort is that it got pretty much
nowhere at all. There was some planning and thinking, and a little bit
of code, but none of the hard parts were actually dealt with yet.
Finding the old code might help you a bit, but I doubt it's going to
make a big difference, really.

Someone already said the code was probably lost in the move away from
gborg. If you need it, there is a backup somewhere of that code, so we
can certainly get it out for you.

//Magnus

Re: GSoC Proposal: PL/Mono

От
"Olexandr Melnyk"
Дата:
After some thinking, I decided it's better for me not to apply for SoC this year for personal reasons.

On 3/29/08, Shane Ambler <pgsql@sheeky.biz> wrote:
Olexandr Melnyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in applying for this year's GSoC program, to work on PL/Mono:
> pluggable procedural language for PostgreSQL. The main purpose of the
> project is to allow programmers to write stored procedures for PostgreSQL
> database in one of the languages that are supported by Mono platform
> (similar to how they can do it with PL/Perl and PL/Python).

From the google site -
We will begin accepting student applications on Monday, March 24th; the
deadline for student applications is Monday, March 31, 2008. Please see
the program timeline for specific deadline times.

You have less than two days to get your application in.

> As I remember from the past, such attempt already existed and was hosted at
> pgFoundry, but I can't find any files related to it. Does anyone know about
> its status?

From what I can find it is a dead project and probably was lost in the