Обсуждение: checkpoint_segments warning?

checkpoint_segments warning?

От
"Dan Armbrust"
Дата:
I got a warning from PostgreSQL 8.3.1 that said something to the effect of

checkpoints are happening to frequently... (-2484 seconds)

That part that confused me was the "-2484".  Is that just a hyphen in
a strange place?  Or did it really calculate a negative value?

Is this expected?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: checkpoint_segments warning?

Дата:
"Dan Armbrust" <daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com> writes:
> I got a warning from PostgreSQL 8.3.1 that said something to the effect of
> checkpoints are happening to frequently... (-2484 seconds)

> That part that confused me was the "-2484".  Is that just a hyphen in
> a strange place?  Or did it really calculate a negative value?

Yeah, it really did.  AFAICS this could only happen if the value of time(2)
went backwards.  Something fooling with your system clock?

            regards, tom lane

Re: checkpoint_segments warning?

От
"Dan Armbrust"
Дата:
>  > That part that confused me was the "-2484".  Is that just a hyphen in
>  > a strange place?  Or did it really calculate a negative value?
>
>  Yeah, it really did.  AFAICS this could only happen if the value of time(2)
>  went backwards.  Something fooling with your system clock?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Or _someone_.  Yes.  Precisely.  I may even know who did it ;)

Thanks,

Dan

Re: checkpoint_segments warning?

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
Dan Armbrust escribió:
> I got a warning from PostgreSQL 8.3.1 that said something to the effect of
>
> checkpoints are happening to frequently... (-2484 seconds)
>
> That part that confused me was the "-2484".  Is that just a hyphen in
> a strange place?  Or did it really calculate a negative value?
>
> Is this expected?

Did you get a date change in the server between checkpoints? Check the
logs (if you are logging the time of the logs).