Обсуждение: IF ROW( NEW ) <> ROW( OLD )

IF ROW( NEW ) <> ROW( OLD )

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
Is it possible to "cast" a table type to a ROW so that Row-Wise
comparison can be achieved?

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: IF ROW( NEW ) <> ROW( OLD )

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> I have never tried it but you may be able to do it with a composite
> type.

True.  However, I was under the impression that table types were
essentially composite types.  So I thought that composite types would
behave the same.

I could manually expand the composite type OLD and NEW to enumerate
each field and make a row wise comparison.  However, I was hoping to
avoid that.
--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: IF ROW( NEW ) <> ROW( OLD )

Дата:
"Richard Broersma" <richard.broersma@gmail.com> writes:
> I could manually expand the composite type OLD and NEW to enumerate
> each field and make a row wise comparison.  However, I was hoping to
> avoid that.

I think IF ROW(NEW.*) <> ROW(OLD.*) will work in recent releases.

Actually you'd better use IF ROW(NEW.*) IS DISTINCT FROM ROW(OLD.*) ...
you really don't want to rely on <> as it will not give the behavior
you want in the presence of null columns.

            regards, tom lane

Re: IF ROW( NEW ) <> ROW( OLD )

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think IF ROW(NEW.*) <> ROW(OLD.*) will work in recent releases.
>
> Actually you'd better use IF ROW(NEW.*) IS DISTINCT FROM ROW(OLD.*) ...
> you really don't want to rely on <> as it will not give the behavior
> you want in the presence of null columns.

Thanks that worked!