Обсуждение: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

pgsql-general@postgresql.org

От
Tomas Lanczos
Дата:
I am using Postgresql to store all my research related data. At the
moment I am just finishing my PhD thesis and I want to cite postgresql
correctly but can't find how to do it. Could somebody give me an advice?

Many thanks

tomas

Re: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Tomas Lanczos <lanczos@t-zones.sk> wrote:
> I am using Postgresql to store all my research related data. At the moment I
> am just finishing my PhD thesis and I want to cite postgresql correctly but
> can't find how to do it. Could somebody give me an advice?

You can start by looking at the wikipedia entry.  Not sure what you
mean by citing the db.  Are you looking at citing where it comes from,
who makes it, what?

It can be kinda tough to classify open source software... :)

Re: citing postgresql

От
Tomas Lanczos
Дата:
I meant something for use in publications, like it is used for R and
almost identically for GRASS:

   R Development Core Team (2008). R: A language and environment for
   statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
   Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

   @Manual{,
     title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
     author = {{R Development Core Team}},
     organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
     address = {Vienna, Austria},
     year = {2008},
     note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-07-0},
     url = {http://www.R-project.org},
   }

I changed the subject BTW. First time I sent this message to the list it
was from my another account, not subscribed here, so I just copied the
text and instead the subject I copied an address ... I am exhausted,
sorry ... :-)

Regards

Tomas

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Tomas Lanczos <lanczos@t-zones.sk> wrote:
>> I am using Postgresql to store all my research related data. At the moment I
>> am just finishing my PhD thesis and I want to cite postgresql correctly but
>> can't find how to do it. Could somebody give me an advice?
>
> You can start by looking at the wikipedia entry.  Not sure what you
> mean by citing the db.  Are you looking at citing where it comes from,
> who makes it, what?
>
> It can be kinda tough to classify open source software... :)

Re: citing postgresql

От
Blazej
Дата:
I'm joing to Tomas - and I want to cite postgresql too in my PhD thesis.

Regards,
Blazej Oleszkiewicz

2008/11/17 Tomas Lanczos <lanczos@t-zones.sk>:
> I meant something for use in publications, like it is used for R and almost
> identically for GRASS:
>

>  R Development Core Team (2008). R: A language and environment for
>  statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
>  Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.
>
> A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is
>
>  @Manual{,
>    title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
>    author = {{R Development Core Team}},
>    organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
>    address = {Vienna, Austria},
>    year = {2008},
>    note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-07-0},
>    url = {http://www.R-project.org},
>  }
>
> I changed the subject BTW. First time I sent this message to the list it was
> from my another account, not subscribed here, so I just copied the text and
> instead the subject I copied an address ... I am exhausted, sorry ... :-)
>
> Regards
>
> Tomas
>

> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Tomas Lanczos <lanczos@t-zones.sk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using Postgresql to store all my research related data. At the
>>> moment I
>>> am just finishing my PhD thesis and I want to cite postgresql correctly
>>> but
>>> can't find how to do it. Could somebody give me an advice?
>>
>> You can start by looking at the wikipedia entry.  Not sure what you
>> mean by citing the db.  Are you looking at citing where it comes from,
>> who makes it, what?
>>
>> It can be kinda tough to classify open source software... :)
>>

> --

Re: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Tomas Lanczos wrote:
> I am using Postgresql to store all my research related data. At the
> moment I am just finishing my PhD thesis and I want to cite postgresql
> correctly but can't find how to do it. Could somebody give me an advice?

I'm not sure if the citation list is the right thing for software...

There's the name, "PostgreSQL". that should be written like this.
There's the web site http://www.postgresql.org, which is the best reference.
The people behind it are called "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: citing postgresql

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:56:51PM +0100, Tomas Lanczos wrote:
> I meant something for use in publications, like it is used for R and
> almost identically for GRASS:
>
>   R Development Core Team (2008). R: A language and environment for
>   statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
>   Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.

When we've had to cite it in papers before it's always just been in the
text as "PostgreSQL 8.3.4, PostgreSQL Global Development Group" (or
which ever version was used).  I've never put it into the bibliography
proper, software doesn't seem to fit there to me somehow.

Hum; just asked some other people in the group and apparently commercial
software tends to just get quoted in the text whereas more academic
related code tends to come with nice bibtex fragments and should be
used.  If bibtex bits don't exist, as in the case of PG, just do the
commercial thing and quote it in line.

Don't quote me too far and wide on it; it's only my two cents!

  Sam

Re: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Tomas Lanczos wrote:
> > I am using Postgresql to store all my research related data. At the
> > moment I am just finishing my PhD thesis and I want to cite postgresql
> > correctly but can't find how to do it. Could somebody give me an advice?
>
> I'm not sure if the citation list is the right thing for software...
>
> There's the name, "PostgreSQL". that should be written like this.
> There's the web site http://www.postgresql.org, which is the best reference.
> The people behind it are called "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group".

So maybe

@Misc{pgsql,
    author  = "{P}ostgre{SQL} {G}lobal {D}evelopment {G}roup",
    title   = "Postgre{SQL}",
    howpublished = "\url{http://www.postgresql.org}",
    year    = 2008
}