Обсуждение: problem with locale :

problem with locale :

От
Eugenio Modesti
Дата:
Hello,
i received a copy of a postgresql data directory and i need to read it
(and do a regular dump).
the datadir version is 8.1 so i installed that version of the server.
When trying to start the server i got this:
Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does not
exist anymore

how can i know on which locale that datadir is based?
what is ":" as a locale?

the server is running under ubuntu server.

Re: problem with locale :

Дата:
Eugenio Modesti <eugenio.modesti@gmail.com> writes:
> i received a copy of a postgresql data directory and i need to read it
> (and do a regular dump).
> the datadir version is 8.1 so i installed that version of the server.
> When trying to start the server i got this:
> Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does not
> exist anymore

There is no such error message in the Postgres 8.1 sources.  I suppose
that it's coming out of some script supplied by the Ubuntu packager.
I'd suggest looking into the start script, or asking the packager
exactly how he's testing this.  What it looks like is that the database
isn't actually compatible with the server and/or start script that you
have, but it's impossible to say more than that with just this
information.

            regards, tom lane

Re: problem with locale :

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Eugenio Modesti wrote:
> Hello,
> i received a copy of a postgresql data directory and i need to read it
> (and do a regular dump).
> the datadir version is 8.1 so i installed that version of the server.
> When trying to start the server i got this:
> Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does not
> exist anymore
>
> how can i know on which locale that datadir is based?
> what is ":" as a locale?
>
> the server is running under ubuntu server.

are you sure that the datadirectory you got was not created on a 32bit
box and you are running a 64bit OS (or the other way round)?

Stefan

Re: problem with locale :

От
Vibhor Kumar
Дата:
Hi Eugenio,

Use the following command to know about the locale.
pg_controldata <Data Directory>

For more information, please follow the link given below:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-pgcontroldata.html

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
www.enteprisedb.com

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
Eugenio Modesti wrote:
Hello,
i received a copy of a postgresql data directory and i need to read it (and do a regular dump).
the datadir version is 8.1 so i installed that version of the server.
When trying to start the server i got this:
Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does not exist anymore

how can i know on which locale that datadir is based?
what is ":" as a locale?

the server is running under ubuntu server.

are you sure that the datadirectory you got was not created on a 32bit box and you are running a 64bit OS (or the other way round)?

Stefan

Re: problem with locale :

От
Vibhor Kumar
Дата:
Hi Eigenio,

Stefan has already mentioned the reason for  the error.

It seems the database is not compatible with the binaries/server.

However, you can check the locale of data directory using the pg_controldata <data directory>, if the it is compatible with the server.

For information about the command:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/app-pgcontroldata.html

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
www.enterprisedb.com

Eugenio Modesti wrote:
Hello,
i received a copy of a postgresql data directory and i need to read it (and do a regular dump).
the datadir version is 8.1 so i installed that version of the server.
When trying to start the server i got this:
Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does not exist anymore

how can i know on which locale that datadir is based?
what is ":" as a locale?

the server is running under ubuntu server.

are you sure that the datadirectory you got was not created on a 32bit box and you are running a 64bit OS (or the other way round)?

Stefan

Re: problem with locale :

От
Eugenio Modesti
Дата:
Il giorno 29/mar/09, alle ore 11:34, Vibhor Kumar ha scritto:
> Use the following command to know about the locale.
> pg_controldata <Data Directory>

hi
i tried and i got this output:

WARNING: Calculated CRC checksum does not match value stored in file.
Either the file is corrupt, or it has a different layout than this
program
is expecting.  The results below are untrustworthy.

pg_control version number:            812
Catalog version number:               200510211
Database system identifier:           5252163233731014646
Database cluster state:               shut down
pg_control last modified:             Thu 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 AM CET
Current log file ID:                  1236336216
Next log file segment:                0
Latest checkpoint location:           0/1
Prior checkpoint location:            0/F368E0
Latest checkpoint's REDO location:    0/F36890
Latest checkpoint's UNDO location:    0/F368E0
Latest checkpoint's TimeLineID:       0
Latest checkpoint's NextXID:          0
Latest checkpoint's NextOID:          1
Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId:  415832
Latest checkpoint's NextMultiOffset:  17870
Time of latest checkpoint:            Thu 01 Jan 1970 01:00:01 AM CET
Maximum data alignment:               0
Database block size:                  0
Blocks per segment of large relation: 8
Bytes per WAL segment:                0
Maximum length of identifiers:        0
Maximum columns in an index:          1093850759
Date/time type storage:               64-bit integers
Maximum length of locale name:        131072
LC_COLLATE:
LC_CTYPE:

no locale informations... what about that crc error?
on data/time storage it says 64bit and the server is running here
under vmware fusion use a centrino core 2 duo so it should be 64bit
too. i will try a regular install on a 32bit machine.
thank you.

Re: problem with locale :

Дата:
Eugenio Modesti <eugenio.modesti@gmail.com> writes:
> i tried and i got this output:

> WARNING: Calculated CRC checksum does not match value stored in file.
> Either the file is corrupt, or it has a different layout than this
> program is expecting.  The results below are untrustworthy.

This is proof positive that you have binaries that are not compatible
with that database.  I believe the most likely explanation is that the
database is from a 32-bit machine and you're trying to use 64-bit
executables, or vice versa.

            regards, tom lane