Обсуждение: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Jennifer Trey

I even wrote down the password when I installed the DB and now it doesn't work!

I have logged in once to the DB through pgAdmin, and choose to store the password and it said that it was stored in plain text.. where can I find it? in what file?? I even created a DB that I haven't used yet so I am certain I have been in there.. what has happend?

Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?

/ Jennifer

Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Jennifer Trey

It is still stored..and I got hold of it.. I used it and it is not workin!?

What could be the problem? How should I log in?

See the picture I attached...

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com> wrote:

I even wrote down the password when I installed the DB and now it doesn't work!

I have logged in once to the DB through pgAdmin, and choose to store the password and it said that it was stored in plain text.. where can I find it? in what file?? I even created a DB that I haven't used yet so I am certain I have been in there.. what has happend?

Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?

/ Jennifer

Вложения

Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Diego Schulz
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I even wrote down the password when I installed the DB and now it doesn't
> work!
>
> I have logged in once to the DB through pgAdmin, and choose to store the
> password and it said that it was stored in plain text.. where can I find it?
> in what file?? I even created a DB that I haven't used yet so I am certain I
> have been in there.. what has happend?
>
> Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?
>
> / Jennifer

It's in the docs

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/libpq-pgpass.html

Cheers,

diego

Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 01/04/2009 20:16, Jennifer Trey wrote:

> Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?

It's in a file called pgpass.conf - on Windows, this is stored in the
Application Data\postgresql directory under your profile.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 01/04/2009 20:38, Jennifer Trey wrote:
> It is still stored..and I got hold of it.. I used it and it is not workin!?
>
> What could be the problem? How should I log in?
>
> See the picture I attached...

Well, the error message says that the role under which you;re trying to
log in doesn't exist, which seems plain enough - have you checked that
it does? Would you or someone else have zapped it?

How are you logging in? - through pgAdmin, from psql, or from some other
client? If from psql, are you using the -U parameter? If you don't, psql
tried to use the currently logged-in OS user.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Jennifer Trey
Дата:
Yes, I found it.. but I cannot log in?

Is there any simple way just to scratch the server and add a new one? thru pgAdmin please?

I tried to "Add Server" but it requires a password too!? and thats not working either.. why does a new server require a new password?

To Raymonds last,

I am using pgAdmin, and that file I accidentally attached instead of an image I was planning to attach..

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
On 01/04/2009 20:16, Jennifer Trey wrote:

> Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?

It's in a file called pgpass.conf - on Windows, this is stored in the
Application Data\postgresql directory under your profile.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Fwd: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Jennifer Trey

Sorry, for the confusion.. just want to make something I wrote more clear:

I tried to add a server and it required the use of a password and not to add a password.. upon the creation and connection, it says that it failed. The Server gets created but I cannot log in to it, even though its new...

and also, I found it (the password) but I cannot log in with it anyway...

/ Jennifer

Is there any simple way just to scratch the server and add a new one? thru pgAdmin please?

I tried to "Add Server" but it requires a password too!? and thats not working either.. why does a new server require a new password?

To Raymonds last,

I am using pgAdmin, and that file I accidentally attached instead of an image I was planning to attach..

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
On 01/04/2009 20:16, Jennifer Trey wrote:

> Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?

It's in a file called pgpass.conf - on Windows, this is stored in the
Application Data\postgresql directory under your profile.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Jennifer Trey

By the way, yesterday I used the TuningWizard too, could it have changed some of these things? It does create a new config file.. is it possible?

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, for the confusion.. just want to make something I wrote more clear:

I tried to add a server and it required the use of a password and not to add a password.. upon the creation and connection, it says that it failed. The Server gets created but I cannot log in to it, even though its new...

and also, I found it (the password) but I cannot log in with it anyway...

/ Jennifer

Is there any simple way just to scratch the server and add a new one? thru pgAdmin please?

I tried to "Add Server" but it requires a password too!? and thats not working either.. why does a new server require a new password?

To Raymonds last,

I am using pgAdmin, and that file I accidentally attached instead of an image I was planning to attach..

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
On 01/04/2009 20:16, Jennifer Trey wrote:

> Most importantly, where can I find the password if it was stored?

It's in a file called pgpass.conf - on Windows, this is stored in the
Application Data\postgresql directory under your profile.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 01/04/2009 20:52, Jennifer Trey wrote:
> By the way, yesterday I used the TuningWizard too, could it have changed
> some of these things? It does create a new config file.. is it possible?
>

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry, for the confusion.. just want to make something I wrote more clear:
>>
>> I tried to add a server and it required the use of a password and not to
>> add a password.. upon the creation and connection, it says that it failed.
>> The Server gets created but I cannot log in to it, even though its new...

Without meaning to add to your woes, could you be persuaded to avoid
top-posting, on this list at least? - it makes the flow of discussion
really hard to follow.

Thanks! :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!

От
Diego Schulz
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Jennifer Trey <jennifer.trey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, for the confusion.. just want to make something I wrote more clear:
>
> I tried to add a server and it required the use of a password and not to add
> a password.. upon the creation and connection, it says that it failed. The
> Server gets created but I cannot log in to it, even though its new...
>
> and also, I found it (the password) but I cannot log in with it anyway...
>
> / Jennifer

To be able to log in with pgAdmin, you have to configure the postgres
server to listen in a TCP socket. To do this, you have to edit its
configuration file (postgresql.conf), located probably in the
postgresql installation directory (not sure as I don't use windows,
might be slightly different). You just have to add a single line

listen_addresses = '*'

then restart the service and pgAdmin should be able to log in.