Обсуждение: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
Joshua Berry
Дата:
Hello all,

Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a
query that returns no result, and true for one that does return a
result?

Currently we select the result into a temp table.

SELECT INTO temp_table id FROM ... ;
IF temp_table IS NULL THEN
resp:= 'NO';
ELSE
resp:= 'YES';
END IF;

I'd like to combine this into one step like this:
SELECT
   CASE
     WHEN id is null THEN 'NO'::text
     ELSE 'YES'::text
   END
FROM ...;

But, this is not have SELECT's work, I suppose. The CASE is never
encountered when there is no result, so in the "NO" case, NULL is
returned.

Any hints/tips? Is our original solution okay, or is there something
we can do to improve things?

Thanks,

Joshua Berry

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

look on GET DIAGNOSTIC statement or FOUND variable

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo()
RETURNS boolean AS $$
BEGIN
  SELECT INTO temp_table ...
  RETURN found;
END;
$$ language plpgsql;

regards
Pavel Stehule

2009/5/18 Joshua Berry <yoberi@gmail.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query
> that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?
>
> Currently we select the result into a temp table.
>
> SELECT INTO temp_table id FROM ... ;
> IF temp_table IS NULL THEN
> resp:= 'NO';
> ELSE
> resp:= 'YES';
> END IF;
>
> I'd like to combine this into one step like this:
> SELECT
>  CASE
>    WHEN id is null THEN 'NO'::text
>    ELSE 'YES'::text
>  END
> FROM ...;
>
> But, this is not have SELECT's work, I suppose. The CASE is never
> encountered when there is no result, so in the "NO" case, NULL is returned.
>
> Any hints/tips? Is our original solution okay, or is there something we can
> do to improve things?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joshua Berry
>
> --

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 03:13:56PM -0400, Joshua Berry wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query
> that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?
>
> Currently we select the result into a temp table.
>
> SELECT INTO temp_table id FROM ... ;

What might work is:

SELECT EXISTS(subquery);

As in:

SELECT EXISTS( SELECT 1 WHERE true );

Have a nice day,

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
David Wilson
Дата:
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Joshua Berry <yoberi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any hints/tips? Is our original solution okay, or is there something we can
> do to improve things?

It seems as if you don't really care about the results of the query-
just whether or not it returns any rows. In that case, why not
something like:

select (case when exists (select * from foo where...) then true else
false end) as result;
--
- David T. Wilson
david.t.wilson@gmail.com

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
Reece Hart
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 15:13 -0400, Joshua Berry wrote:
Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?

Presuming that you're not using the values in temp_table, I think you should be using PERFORM * WHERE ...; and then IF FOUND ... ELSE ... END IF;

See here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-statements.html
and also follow link to 38.5.5 .

-Reece

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 03:13:56PM -0400, Joshua Berry wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query
> that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?
>
> Currently we select the result into a temp table.
>
> SELECT INTO temp_table id FROM ... ;
> IF temp_table IS NULL THEN
> resp:= 'NO';
> ELSE
> resp:= 'YES';
> END IF;

SELECT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM ....);

will get you a boolean which can't be NULL.  You can either map that
to "yes/no" or return it as is.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Joshua Berry <yoberi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query
> that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?

Probably the best general approach is to:

select count(*) = 1 from
(
  <query> limit 1
)q;

the point being that in some cases (not all obviously) the limit 1 can
be a huge win, as you only care if there are rows or not.  with little
work (you have to be aware of if/when you can tack 'limit 1 onto a
query) you could generalize it into a pl/pgsql dynamic sql function
taking a query string.

merlin

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

Дата:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Joshua Berry <yoberi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query
>> that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?

> Probably the best general approach is to:

> select count(*) = 1 from
> (
>   <query> limit 1
> )q;

Seems like EXISTS() is much more straightforward ...

> the point being that in some cases (not all obviously) the limit 1 can
> be a huge win, as you only care if there are rows or not.

... the system does know about optimizing EXISTS as if it were a LIMIT
query; you don't need to tack that on yourself.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Providing an alternative result when there is no result

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Joshua Berry <yoberi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there an easy and efficient way to return a boolean false for a query
>>> that returns no result, and true for one that does return a result?
>
>> Probably the best general approach is to:
>
>> select count(*) = 1 from
>> (
>>   <query> limit 1
>> )q;
>
> Seems like EXISTS() is much more straightforward ...

yes...I didn't notice david's response upthread.  that is indeed very elegant.

merlin