Обсуждение: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Scott Bailey
Дата:
Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
databases.

Scott

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
"Bayless Kirtley"
Дата:
You can establish a new connection without dropping the old one. Thus you
can be connected to 2 databases at the same time. Just use the appropriate
connection for the database you want.

Bayless

> Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
> database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
> need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
> databases.
>
> Scott
>

> --

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
conceptually if you consider the DB parameters which are necessary to establish a SQL connection
you would need to accomodate 'BOTH' sets of these DB parameters
JDBC spec does'nt address the need to 'switch' so Type4 JDBC driver writers concentrated on one connection to one database using a 'known' set of Database specific parameters

an interesting concept tho'

anyone?
Martin Gainty
Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité

Ez az üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük, hogy jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának készítése nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és semmiféle jogi alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek könnyen megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet ezen üzenet tartalma miatt.

> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:34:31 -0700
> From: artacus@comcast.net
> To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: [GENERAL] Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
>
> Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
> database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
> need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
> databases.
>
> Scott
>

> --

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Scott Bailey wrote:
> Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
> database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
> need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
> databases.

the \connect command disconnects from the current database, and connects
to a new one, this causes a new postgres server process to be spawned to
replace the one servicing the old connection.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
does '\connect' work with Type-IV JDBC Database?
can you effectively 'drop' the first DB connection
and somehow read a different set of DB parameters to connect to a new DB?

thanks,
Martin Gainty

> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:07:03 -0700
> From: pierce@hogranch.com
> To: artacus@comcast.net
> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
>
> Scott Bailey wrote:
> > Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
> > database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
> > need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
> > databases.
>

> the \connect command disconnects from the current database, and connects
> to a new one, this causes a new postgres server process to be spawned to
> replace the one servicing the old connection.
>

> --

Hotmail® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Martin Gainty wrote:
> does '\connect' work with Type-IV JDBC Database?
> can you effectively 'drop' the first DB connection
> and somehow read a different set of DB parameters to connect to a new DB?

\connect is a psql command, nothing to do with JDBC.

In Java, you would Close() a JDBC connection, then getConnection() to
create a new one.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
true
scott was asking if you can utilise the same JDBC Type IV DB connection for both
the original DB connection and utilise that same connection to connect to another
DB (with a fresh set of database parameters)
my answer is i do not know of a way to use the same connection for 2 different DB's
but perhaps a vendor/contractor/consultant such as yourself may know of connection mechanism which would dynamically switch the original connection from old DB parameters to new DB parameters?

Martin Gainty
Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité

Ez az üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük, hogy jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának készítése nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és semmiféle jogi alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek könnyen megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet ezen üzenet tartalma miatt.

> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:24:10 -0700
> From: pierce@hogranch.com
> To: mgainty@hotmail.com
> CC: artacus@comcast.net; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
>
> Martin Gainty wrote:
> > does '\connect' work with Type-IV JDBC Database?
> > can you effectively 'drop' the first DB connection
> > and somehow read a different set of DB parameters to connect to a new DB?
>
> \connect is a psql command, nothing to do with JDBC.
>
> In Java, you would Close() a JDBC connection, then getConnection() to
> create a new one.

Hotmail® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Martin Gainty wrote:
> true
> scott was asking if you can utilise the same JDBC Type IV DB
> connection for both
> the original DB connection and utilise that same connection to connect
> to another
> DB (with a fresh set of database parameters)
> my answer is i do not know of a way to use the same connection for 2
> different DB's
> but perhaps a vendor/contractor/consultant such as yourself may know
> of connection mechanism which would dynamically switch the original
> connection from old DB parameters to new DB parameters?

and, for the 3rd time, one connection == one database.  you close that
connection and open a new one to connect to a different database or as a
different user.  thats how postgresql works, it has no other way of
doing that.  this is independent of JDBC, its an inherent design
characteristic of the database server.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Scott Bailey
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:
> Scott Bailey wrote:
>> Is there an equivalent to psql's \connect database or MySQL/MS SQL's use
>> database command that will work with JDBC? It doesn't seem like I should
>> need to drop the connection and establish a new one just to switch
>> databases.
>

> the \connect command disconnects from the current database, and connects
> to a new one, this causes a new postgres server process to be spawned to
> replace the one servicing the old connection.

Well at work we've got Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL and Postgres. So I
generally use Aqua Data Studio because it works with all of them. For
MySQL and MS SQL you register a single connection to the server and can
switch to any database. But with Postgres, you have to register a new
connection for every database because you can't switch once connected.

I just figured that if even Microsoft can do it, surely we can.

Scott

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Scott Bailey wrote:
> Well at work we've got Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL and Postgres. So I
> generally use Aqua Data Studio because it works with all of them. For
> MySQL and MS SQL you register a single connection to the server and
> can switch to any database. But with Postgres, you have to register a
> new connection for every database because you can't switch once
> connected.
>
> I just figured that if even Microsoft can do it, surely we can.

you could always use SCHEMA instead of DATABASE if thats what you want.

btw, in Oracle, you need a different connection for different database
instances, too.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Scott Bailey
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:
> Scott Bailey wrote:
>> Well at work we've got Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL and Postgres. So I
>> generally use Aqua Data Studio because it works with all of them. For
>> MySQL and MS SQL you register a single connection to the server and
>> can switch to any database. But with Postgres, you have to register a
>> new connection for every database because you can't switch once
>> connected.
>>
>> I just figured that if even Microsoft can do it, surely we can.
>

> you could always use SCHEMA instead of DATABASE if thats what you want.
>
> btw, in Oracle, you need a different connection for different database
> instances, too.

Well, that's true. The difference with Oracle is that you can only have
a single database per server instance. (Which is really dumb IMO) But
that being the case, schema are regularly used to partition the server
in Oracle. On DMBS's that support multiple databases you never see
SCHEMA being used this way.

Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Scott Bailey wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> Scott Bailey wrote:
>>> Well at work we've got Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL and Postgres. So I
>>> generally use Aqua Data Studio because it works with all of them. For
>>> MySQL and MS SQL you register a single connection to the server and
>>> can switch to any database. But with Postgres, you have to register a
>>> new connection for every database because you can't switch once
>>> connected.
>>>
>>> I just figured that if even Microsoft can do it, surely we can.
>>

>> you could always use SCHEMA instead of DATABASE if thats what you want.
>>
>> btw, in Oracle, you need a different connection for different database
>> instances, too.
>
> Well, that's true. The difference with Oracle is that you can only have
> a single database per server instance. (Which is really dumb IMO) But
> that being the case, schema are regularly used to partition the server
> in Oracle. On DMBS's that support multiple databases you never see
> SCHEMA being used this way.

Well the point here is that at least in MySQL(maybe also in MSSQL no
idea about that one) a "database" is really much more like a schema in
PostgreSQL. In the former you basically have

instance -> databases -> objects(tables whatever)  in the later you have
cluster -> databases -> schema -> objects.
In general the need to switch between several databases in the same app
is sometimes a sign that one should have used schemas instead during the
design phase.

Stefan