Обсуждение: cygwin and postgresql

cygwin and postgresql

От
"James B. Byrne"
Дата:
This may not be the right place for this question but I am going to
start here anyway.

I have installed postgresql in cygwin on a MS-WinXPpro system.  I
wish to initialise  a database instance.  However, I cannot find any
program file called initdb.  In /usr/bin I can see files like:
pg_config.exe, pg_dump.exe and pg_dumpall.exe but no initdb.exe
anywhere.  Is there something about initdb that I do not understand
or some reason why it would not form part of the cygwin
installation?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3

Re: cygwin and postgresql

Дата:
"James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> writes:
> I have installed postgresql in cygwin on a MS-WinXPpro system.  I
> wish to initialise  a database instance.  However, I cannot find any
> program file called initdb.  In /usr/bin I can see files like:
> pg_config.exe, pg_dump.exe and pg_dumpall.exe but no initdb.exe
> anywhere.  Is there something about initdb that I do not understand
> or some reason why it would not form part of the cygwin
> installation?

That sounds suspiciously like a client-only installation.  What
package did you install exactly?  Was there a -server package
beside it?

            regards, tom lane

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
"James B. Byrne"
Дата:
On Sun, June 14, 2009 13:34, Tom Lane wrote:

> That sounds suspiciously like a client-only installation.  What
> package did you install exactly?  Was there a -server package
> beside it?

The packages that cygwin says I have installed are:

8.2.11-1 postgresql: PostgreSQL Data Base Management System 3,707k
8.2.11-1 postgresql-client: Front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.x 972k
8.2.11-1 postgresql-contrib ... 373k
8.2.11-1 postgresql-devel: ... server side programs 488k
8.2.11-1 postgresql-doc
8.2.11-1 postgresql-plperl

and that is all.

There is not a package listed with "-server" in it.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3

Re: cygwin and postgresql

Дата:
"James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> writes:
> The packages that cygwin says I have installed are:

> 8.2.11-1 postgresql: PostgreSQL Data Base Management System 3,707k
> 8.2.11-1 postgresql-client: Front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.x 972k
> 8.2.11-1 postgresql-contrib ... 373k
> 8.2.11-1 postgresql-devel: ... server side programs 488k
> 8.2.11-1 postgresql-doc
> 8.2.11-1 postgresql-plperl

> and that is all.

> There is not a package listed with "-server" in it.

Well, I don't know whose package set this is, but I'd bet there was
supposed to be a -server package there too.  That core package looks too
small to include the server.

            regards, tom lane

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM, James B. Byrne<byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> This may not be the right place for this question but I am going to
> start here anyway.
>
> I have installed postgresql in cygwin on a MS-WinXPpro system.  I
> wish to initialise  a database instance.  However, I cannot find any
> program file called initdb.  In /usr/bin I can see files like:
> pg_config.exe, pg_dump.exe and pg_dumpall.exe but no initdb.exe
> anywhere.  Is there something about initdb that I do not understand
> or some reason why it would not form part of the cygwin
> installation?

Is there a reason you're not using the native windows postgresql packages?

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
"James B. Byrne"
Дата:
On Sun, June 14, 2009 15:45, Scott Marlowe wrote:
why it would not form part of the cygwin
>> installation?
>
> Is there a reason you're not using the native windows postgresql
> packages?

Because for some reason, processes running in the cygwin environment
could not create databases in the postgresql instance running in
windows.  As I develop for Linux and use cygwin to (mostly)
replicate that environment on my MS-Win laptop I thought that moving
everything having to do with the development environment under
cygwin would be best.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
"James B. Byrne"
Дата:
Found it.  The cygwin executables for postgres are installed under
/usr/sbin, which is NOT in the PATH thus the problem, and the
obvious solution.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2009-06-14, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, June 14, 2009 15:45, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> why it would not form part of the cygwin
>>> installation?
>>
>> Is there a reason you're not using the native windows postgresql
>> packages?
>>

> Because for some reason, processes running in the cygwin environment
> could not create databases in the postgresql instance running in
> windows.

that's odd, were you specifying host=localhost, if not it may be
that the cygwin processes were trying to use local sockets.
(oner difference of the native windows postgres to linux is no local
sockets)

> As I develop for Linux and use cygwin to (mostly)
> replicate that environment on my MS-Win laptop I thought that moving
> everything having to do with the development environment under
> cygwin would be best.

I develop for windows on a linux desktop (exact opposite of what you do!)

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
"James B. Byrne"
On: 15 Jun 2009 12:08:22 GMT, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz>

> On Sun, June 14, 2009 15:45, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> Is there a reason you're not using the native windows postgresql
>> packages?
>>

> Because for some reason, processes running in the cygwin environment
> could not create databases in the postgresql instance running in
> windows.

that's odd, were you specifying host=localhost, if not it may be
that the cygwin processes were trying to use local sockets.
(oner difference of the native windows postgres to linux is no local
sockets)

The cygwin processes had no trouble connecting to and operating on
existing databases.  They could even drop a database.  They just
could not recreate one after dropping it.  As the database in
question is the one used for integration testing and as it gets
dropped and recreated on the fly at various points in the test suite
this was a major annoyance.

It could very well be that this behaviour is caused by some other
issue but I have a nagging suspicion that NTFS security issues are
at the root of it.  As I have no other need to access pgsql on my
laptop, I thought it best to bring everything under one roof, so to
speak, and begin checking things out from that initial point.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 8:22 AM, James B. Byrne<byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> On: 15 Jun 2009 12:08:22 GMT, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz>
>>
>> On Sun, June 14, 2009 15:45, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a reason you're not using the native windows postgresql
>>> packages?
>>>

>> Because for some reason, processes running in the cygwin environment
>> could not create databases in the postgresql instance running in
>> windows.
>
> that's odd, were you specifying host=localhost, if not it may be
> that the cygwin processes were trying to use local sockets.
> (oner difference of the native windows postgres to linux is no local
> sockets)
>
> The cygwin processes had no trouble connecting to and operating on
> existing databases.  They could even drop a database.  They just
> could not recreate one after dropping it.  As the database in
> question is the one used for integration testing and as it gets
> dropped and recreated on the fly at various points in the test suite
> this was a major annoyance.
>
> It could very well be that this behaviour is caused by some other
> issue but I have a nagging suspicion that NTFS security issues are
> at the root of it.  As I have no other need to access pgsql on my
> laptop, I thought it best to bring everything under one roof, so to
> speak, and begin checking things out from that initial point.

So, for sure something like:

alter user dbuser with createdb;

didn't fix the problem?

Re: cygwin and postgresql

От
"James B. Byrne"
Дата:
On Mon, June 15, 2009 13:02, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> So, for sure something like:
>
> alter user dbuser with createdb;
>
> didn't fix the problem?

I have removed the windows installation and can no longer check
this.  I maintained the pg roles via pgadmin3 and, to the best of my
ability to recollect, the owner of the development and test
databases had dbcreate privileges.

If the problem persists under the cygwin environment then I will
revisit the native pg installation for testing.