Обсуждение: PL/SQL & unset custom variable

PL/SQL & unset custom variable

От
Gordon Ross
Дата:
(I'm using Postgres 8.3)

I have a trigger that references a custom variable. Most of the time this
custom variable is set, and I have no problems.

However, in certain corner cases the custom variable is not set and the
trigger fails.

Is there a way to either test if the custom variable is set, or to specify a
global default for the custom variable ?

Thanks,

GTG

Re: PL/SQL & unset custom variable

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Gordon Ross <gr306@ucs.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> (I'm using Postgres 8.3)
>
> I have a trigger that references a custom variable. Most of the time this
> custom variable is set, and I have no problems.
>
> However, in certain corner cases the custom variable is not set and the
> trigger fails.
>
> Is there a way to either test if the custom variable is set, or to specify a
> global default for the custom variable ?

I think, you can use COALESCE(your_variable, default_value) to solve
that problem. Try it, it is untested.

Andreas

Re: PL/SQL & unset custom variable

От
Gordon Ross
Дата:
On 02/09/2009 15:39, "Andreas Kretschmer" <akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Gordon Ross <gr306@ucs.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Is there a way to either test if the custom variable is set, or to specify a
>> global default for the custom variable ?
>
> I think, you can use COALESCE(your_variable, default_value) to solve
> that problem. Try it, it is untested.

Sorry, no joy :-(

grails=> SELECT current_setting('phone.id');
ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "phone.id"

grails=> SELECT coalesce(current_setting('phone.id'),'SYSTEM');
ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "phone.id"

GTG

Re: PL/SQL & unset custom variable

Дата:
Gordon Ross <gr306@ucs.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Sorry, no joy :-(

> grails=> SELECT current_setting('phone.id');
> ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "phone.id"

> grails=> SELECT coalesce(current_setting('phone.id'),'SYSTEM');
> ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "phone.id"

You could use a SELECT from pg_settings to probe for the value
of the parameter without getting an error.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PL/SQL & unset custom variable

От
Gordon Ross
Дата:
Hmmm.

If I do:

select * from pg_settings where name='custom_variable_classes';

I see my entry "phone", but I can't see how I can tell if I've set "phone.id"

GTG