Обсуждение: Resources for learning PostgreSQL

Resources for learning PostgreSQL

От
dan06
Дата:
Hi,

I've used mysql for sometime now, and I'd like to broaden my db
knowledge/experience to include postgresql. Can anyone recommend any books
or other resources that could help me along? Thanks.

-Dan

Re: Resources for learning PostgreSQL

От
Paul M Foster
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:43:09AM -0700, dan06 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've used mysql for sometime now, and I'd like to broaden my db
> knowledge/experience to include postgresql. Can anyone recommend any books
> or other resources that could help me along? Thanks.

The PostgreSQL website has excellent documentation (second only to
php.net). If you already know MySQL, then you're 2/3 of the way there.
You just need to get used to the quirks of PostgreSQL. For books, I have
two:

Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL 2/e by Matthew & Stones

PostgreSQL 2/e by Douglas & Douglas

These are better than the original PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts
by Momjian (sorry, Bruce). That book struck me as mostly a transcription
of the existing documentation at the time. It was very helpful when
there were no other PostgreSQL books out there.

But you may not even need the books, if you peruse the website.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster

Re: Resources for learning PostgreSQL

От
Scott Bailey
Дата:
> The PostgreSQL website has excellent documentation (second only to
> php.net). If you already know MySQL, then you're 2/3 of the way there.
> You just need to get used to the quirks of PostgreSQL.

A more accurate statement would be "You just need to learn where the
quirks you've picked up by using MySQL are."  You should be able to jump
right in and start using Postgres. But you'll probably need the use the
manual at first. The good news is that once you learn Postgres, your
skills will be a lot more transferable to other databases.

This article is a bit dated but still good.

http://www.xach.com/aolserver/mysql-to-postgresql.html

Scott Bailey