Обсуждение: Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

От
Christophe Pettus
Дата:
Greetings,

I'm attempting to build a version of PG 8.4.1 with the OSSP uuid
libraries on Centos 5.3 (I'm building PG from source).  I simply
cannot seem to find the right libraries to install; even very
promising candidates seem to be a different version than the one PG is
expecting.  Configuring PG after installing them with --with-ossp-uuid
returns the error:

    configure: error: library 'ossp-uuid' or 'uuid' is required for OSSP-
UUID

However, it *is* finding the libraries correctly, but not the symbol
uuid-export:

    conftest.c:(.text+0x7): undefined reference to `uuid_export'

Any thoughts?
--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com

Re: Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

Дата:
Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> writes:
> I'm attempting to build a version of PG 8.4.1 with the OSSP uuid
> libraries on Centos 5.3 (I'm building PG from source).  I simply
> cannot seem to find the right libraries to install; even very
> promising candidates seem to be a different version than the one PG is
> expecting.

Whose uuid package are you using?  If it's actually been packaged
properly for RHEL/Centos, I would bet that the problem is you forgot
to install the uuid-devel subpackage.  If it's something you built
from source, it more than likely installed into /usr/local/, and
then your problem is that PG isn't searching /usr/local/lib/ for the
libraries.  The best fix for the latter is to adjust the ldconfig
configuration to include that directory.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

От
Christophe Pettus
Дата:
On Oct 10, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Whose uuid package are you using?

    http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/

Building from source.

> If it's something you built
> from source, it more than likely installed into /usr/local/, and
> then your problem is that PG isn't searching /usr/local/lib/ for the
> libraries.  The best fix for the latter is to adjust the ldconfig
> configuration to include that directory.

It is indeed installing it in /usr/local/lib, but the ldconfig was
set.  What's irritating is that (looking at config.log) it is finding
the library just fine, but not finding the uuid_export function inside
of it.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com

Re: Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

Дата:
Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> writes:
> On Oct 10, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Whose uuid package are you using?
>     http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
> Building from source.

> It is indeed installing it in /usr/local/lib, but the ldconfig was
> set.  What's irritating is that (looking at config.log) it is finding
> the library just fine, but not finding the uuid_export function inside
> of it.

Hmph.  I don't know if there's more than one uuid package in the wild,
but I see from
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/uuid/devel/uuid.spec?revision=1.17&view=markup
that the package that's standard in recent Fedora is uuid 1.6.1 from
http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
and I can attest that Postgres does build against that.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:

> Hmph.  I don't know if there's more than one uuid package in the wild,
> but I see from
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/uuid/devel/uuid.spec?revision=1.17&view=markup
> that the package that's standard in recent Fedora is uuid 1.6.1 from
> http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
> and I can attest that Postgres does build against that.

FWIW, uuid RPMs are in EPEL repository:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/letter_u.group.html
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/letter_u.group.html

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com

Re: Building PG 8.4.1 with ossp-uuid on Centos 5.3

От
Christophe Pettus
Дата:
On Oct 11, 2009, at 1:14 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/letter_u.group.html
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/letter_u.group.html

Many thanks; it was a 32 vs 64 bit library problem, solved.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
    xof@thebuild.com