Обсуждение: Nested transactions

Nested transactions

От
Bill Todd
Дата:
Does PostgreSQL support nested transactions as shown below?

BEGIN;
  ...do some stuff...
  BEGIN;
    ...more stuff...
  COMMIT;
COMMIT;

Bill

Re: Nested transactions

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Bill Todd <pg@dbginc.com> wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL support nested transactions as shown below?
>
> BEGIN;
>  ...do some stuff...
>  BEGIN;
>   ...more stuff...
>  COMMIT;
> COMMIT;

Postgresql uses savepoints.

Re: Nested transactions

От
John R Pierce
Bill Todd wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL support nested transactions as shown below?
>
> BEGIN;
>  ...do some stuff...
>  BEGIN;
>    ...more stuff...
>  COMMIT;
> COMMIT;

no, but in recent versiosn, you can use SAVEPOINT to achieve much the
same effect.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-savepoint.html

Re: Nested transactions

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 07:41:54PM -0700, Bill Todd wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL support nested transactions as shown below?
>
> BEGIN;
>  ...do some stuff...
>  BEGIN;
>    ...more stuff...
>  COMMIT;
> COMMIT;

It depends what you want to have happen when the outer transaction
rolls back.  If you want all the sub-commits to roll back, use
SAVEPOINTs.  If you don't, you'll have to write something in an
untrusted PL that uses a separate database connection.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Nested transactions

От
Bill Todd
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Bill Todd <pg@dbginc.com> wrote:
Does PostgreSQL support nested transactions as shown below?

BEGIN;
 ...do some stuff...
 BEGIN;
  ...more stuff...
 COMMIT;
COMMIT;
Postgresql uses savepoints.

Savepoints do not provide the same functionality as nested or parallel transactions because you cannot commit a savepoint. If  I need a second transaction I can always open a second connection so it is easy to get the behavior I need. Thanks.

Bill

Re: Nested transactions

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 16:18 -0700, Bill Todd wrote:
> Savepoints do not provide the same functionality as nested or parallel
> transactions because you cannot commit a savepoint.

What does it mean to "commit" a subtransaction or savepoint? What can
you do with a subtransaction that you can't do with a savepoint?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Nested transactions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jeff Davis escribió:
> On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 16:18 -0700, Bill Todd wrote:
> > Savepoints do not provide the same functionality as nested or parallel
> > transactions because you cannot commit a savepoint.
>
> What does it mean to "commit" a subtransaction or savepoint? What can
> you do with a subtransaction that you can't do with a savepoint?

What Bill wants is an "autonomous" transaction.  We don't have those yet
(except thru use of dblink or database connections inside a function.)

Re: Nested transactions

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Bill Todd <pg@dbginc.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Bill Todd <pg@dbginc.com> wrote:
>

> Does PostgreSQL support nested transactions as shown below?
>
> BEGIN;
>  ...do some stuff...
>  BEGIN;
>   ...more stuff...
>  COMMIT;
> COMMIT;
>

> Postgresql uses savepoints.
>

> Savepoints do not provide the same functionality as nested

Yes they do.  There was a REALLY long discussion on the subject in the
hackers list I believe that led to pgsql supporting savepoints  but
not nested transactions

> or parallel transactions

That's something entirely different and a question you did not ask