Обсуждение: Problem to use remote cygwin server using ssh and native psql 8.3.5

Problem to use remote cygwin server using ssh and native psql 8.3.5

От
Jukka Inkeri
Дата:
I have installed cycwin and sshd in my Windows server.

I have Winnative psql.exe (8.3.5)

If I use cygwin locally in this server and give command in cygwin session:
    psql -h somehost -U someuser -d somedb
it works fine

But if i use via ssh same way, then no echo ... and process hang.

I have tested remote ssh and local

Cygwin session
    ssh localhost
    => connect local, ...
    psql -h somehost -U someuser -d somedb
    will hang

Cygwin old native psql 8.2 works, but I like to use newer psql = Win
native psql.exe

tested using Cygwin 1.5.x and 1.7.x

Ssh tty problem using Windows native psql.exe  ?

-jukka-

Re: Problem to use remote cygwin server using ssh and native psql 8.3.5

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 12:35, Jukka Inkeri <pg@awot.fi> wrote:

> I have installed cycwin and sshd in my Windows server.
>
> I have Winnative psql.exe (8.3.5)
>
> If I use cygwin locally in this server and give command in cygwin session:
>   psql -h somehost -U someuser -d somedb
> it works fine
>
> But if i use via ssh same way, then no echo ... and process hang.
>
> I have tested remote ssh and local
>
> Cygwin session
>   ssh localhost
>   => connect local, ...
>   psql -h somehost -U someuser -d somedb
>   will hang
>
> Cygwin old native psql 8.2 works, but I like to use newer psql = Win native
> psql.exe
>
> tested using Cygwin 1.5.x and 1.7.x
>
> Ssh tty problem using Windows native psql.exe  ?

The native psql is written for Windows, not for Cygwin. You really
shouldn't be using it there... If you are using Cygwin, you should be
using a Cygwin psql.exe.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Problem to use remote cygwin server using ssh and native psql 8.3.5

От
Jukka Inkeri

> The native psql is written for Windows, not for Cygwin. You really
> shouldn't be using it there... If you are using Cygwin, you should be
> using a Cygwin psql.exe.

PG pages says: use native, not cygwin version anymore. It's not problem
if it's "windows" binary, you can use many native binary commands in
cygwin, ex. java. psql termio is the problem. If I translate 8.4.1 using
gcc, those binary not work also.

Psql not work. It works, if you set -f - = stdin, but then you not get
command prompt and that kind of psql output.

My scripts works now, after I use win binary psql with flag -f, just as
I said in my own answer.

-jukka-

Re: Problem to use remote cygwin server using ssh and native psql 8.3.5

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 06:15, Jukka Inkeri <pg@awot.fi> wrote:

>> The native psql is written for Windows, not for Cygwin. You really
>> shouldn't be using it there... If you are using Cygwin, you should be
>> using a Cygwin psql.exe.
>>

> PG pages says: use native, not cygwin version anymore.

Yes, that is for the Windows platform. Cygwin is a different platform,
really. Perhaps we should clarify that - what page exactly are you
referring to?

> It's not problem if
> it's "windows" binary, you can use many native binary commands in cygwin,
> ex. java. psql termio is the problem. If I translate 8.4.1 using gcc, those
> binary not work also.

Right. The problem is that the cygwin terminal is not fully windows
compatible. This is why when using Cygwin, you should be using Cygwin
binaries.

> My scripts works now, after I use win binary psql with flag -f, just as I
> said in my own answer.

Glad to see you got it working.