Обсуждение: Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

От
Anders Moe

Hi all

We're trying to get our 64 bt windows application to use postgresql, which means I have to #include stuff from psql and link to 64 bit versions of the libs. Which do not seem to exist.

Spesifically I need to get Qt compiled with psql (and eventually  postGIS).

Can anyone give me an update on whether this is , or will ever be, possible ? Thanks,

Anders

Re: Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 09:47:48AM +0100, Anders Moe wrote:
> We're trying to get our 64 bt windows application to use postgresql, which
> means I have to #include stuff from psql and link to 64 bit versions of the
> libs. Which do not seem to exist.
>
> Spesifically I need to get Qt compiled with psql (and eventually  postGIS).

Why does Postgres need to be 64bit, couldn't you go through the windows
ODBC layer if you want 64 bit client support?  Also, isn't PostGIS just
server side and hence you shouldn't have to worry about it client side?

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

От
Anders Moe
Дата:
It's true that PostGIS is server side, so that's not really an issue. As far as ODBC is concerned I'm just working from the assumption that a native link is generally preferable. If anyone tells me that the psql ODBC link has the same features/performance that's fine with me.....? :)

Anders

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 09:47:48AM +0100, Anders Moe wrote:
> We're trying to get our 64 bt windows application to use postgresql, which
> means I have to #include stuff from psql and link to 64 bit versions of the
> libs. Which do not seem to exist.
>
> Spesifically I need to get Qt compiled with psql (and eventually  postGIS).

Why does Postgres need to be 64bit, couldn't you go through the windows
ODBC layer if you want 64 bit client support?  Also, isn't PostGIS just
server side and hence you shouldn't have to worry about it client side?

--
 Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Anders Moe

Technical Manager
Geocap
w: +47 22 95 56 66
anders.moe@geocap.no

Re: Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 01:47:55PM +0100, Anders Moe wrote:
> As far
> as ODBC is concerned I'm just working from the assumption that a native link
> is generally preferable.

You'll get a bit more control, but most of the time that's not needed.

> If anyone tells me that the psql ODBC link has the
> same features/performance that's fine with me.....? :)

It's always worked fine for me, then again I don't pass the most amazing
amount of data through it.  If it's holding you up, I'd suggest trying
it you're going to get a very similar abstraction exposed from libpq so
it shouldn't be too hard to change over if you need to.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

От
John R Pierce
Sam Mason wrote:
> Why does Postgres need to be 64bit, couldn't you go through the windows
> ODBC layer if you want 64 bit client support?  Also, isn't PostGIS just
> server side and hence you shouldn't have to worry about it client side?

ODBC would be a bad choice for a postgres specific program designed to
be portable to multiple platforms

Anyways, ODBC is deprecated in pure Windows environments in favor of
ADODB/OLEDB

Re: Not possible to create 64 bit windows clients ?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 09:47, Anders Moe <anders.moe@geocap.no> wrote:

> Hi all
> We're trying to get our 64 bt windows application to use postgresql, which
> means I have to #include stuff from psql and link to 64 bit versions of the
> libs. Which do not seem to exist.
> Spesifically I need to get Qt compiled with psql (and eventually  postGIS).
> Can anyone give me an update on whether this is , or will ever be, possible

You can build libpq in 64-bit mode on Windows, but not the backend
(and I'm not actually sure about psql offhand). Meaning PostGIS
becomes irrelevant, as you've noticed downthread.

Instructions for building libpq in 64-bit mode are at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/install-win32-libpq.html

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

dumping parts of a database

От
Malm Paul
Дата:
Hi List,
I have a database with two tables header and idata, they are connected with an conn_ID.
I would like to dump header and the connected idata tables with a certain conn_ID. This I would like to import to the same type of database on another PostgreSQL server.

I would be gratefull if someone could tell me how I dump those tables and how do I import them in another database?

Kind regards,
Paul

Re: dumping parts of a database

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
> Hi List,
> I have a database with two tables header and idata, they are connected with an
> conn_ID.
> I would like to dump header and the connected idata tables with a certain
> conn_ID. This I would like to import to the same type of database on another
> PostgreSQL server.
>
> I would be gratefull if someone could tell me how I dump those tables and how
> do I import them in another database?

You can use COPY.

Just COPY ( select ... ) to '/path/to/file' to export and
COPY from ... to import that.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
GnuPG: 0x31720C99, 1006 CCB4 A326 1D42 6431  2EB0 389D 1DC2 3172 0C99