Обсуждение: Strange "bug" in dump ?

Strange "bug" in dump ?

От
Denis BUCHER
Дата:
Dear all,

When doing a dump of a 8.1.17, database (that I have to reimport daily
into a 7.4.6), I have a strange bugs with accents...

First point, I had to add --insert.

But there is still a problem with accents.

If I say nothing the dump is utf8, or I can add -E=latin1.

But in both cases it fails, and there is a very strange error !
There is a "E" before the street field !

This is an extract of the dump :

'ST311PHANIE ROBERT', NULL, E'RTE DES TATTES D\\''OIE 5',

311 is shown instead of accent

Does someone knows what could be this problem ?

Denis

Re: Strange "bug" in dump ?

От
Rikard Bosnjakovic
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:59, Denis BUCHER <dbucherml@hsolutions.ch> wrote:

[...]
> There is a "E" before the street field !
>
> This is an extract of the dump :
>
> 'ST311PHANIE ROBERT', NULL, E'RTE DES TATTES D\\''OIE 5',

Sounds like escape quoting to me. You can read about it at
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html>.
I'm not sure how good 7.4.6 is at unicode-quoting, but I surmise this
could be the source of the error that it is not able to handle the
correct string quoting.

--
- Rikard - http://bos.hack.org/cv/

Re: Strange "bug" in dump ?

От
Denis BUCHER
Дата:
Rikard Bosnjakovic a écrit :
>> There is a "E" before the street field !
>>
>> This is an extract of the dump :
>>
>> 'ST311PHANIE ROBERT', NULL, E'RTE DES TATTES D\\''OIE 5',
>
> Sounds like escape quoting to me. You can read about it at
> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html>.
> I'm not sure how good 7.4.6 is at unicode-quoting, but I surmise this
> could be the source of the error that it is not able to handle the
> correct string quoting.

Oh yes, great, then it's not a bug but "String Constants with C-Style
Escapes" !

But this seems to be a 8.4 feature not supported by 7.4.6 ?
If you have an idea on how to have 7.4.6 accept it...

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Denis

Re: Strange "bug" in dump ?

Дата:
Denis BUCHER <dbucherml@hsolutions.ch> writes:
> But this seems to be a 8.4 feature not supported by 7.4.6 ?
> If you have an idea on how to have 7.4.6 accept it...

Better idea: expend your effort on getting off 7.4.x.  It's going to
be EOL'd soon.  Running a release as old as 7.4.6 doesn't seem very
advisable anyway.

            regards, tom lane