Обсуждение: SQL question re aggregates & joins

SQL question re aggregates & joins

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
OK, this does not work:

select max(t1."When"), t1."Pt_Id", t2."DateOfBirth"
from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
group by t1."Pt_Id";

But this does:

select max(t1."When"), t1."Pt_Id", min(t2."DateOfBirth")
from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
group by t1."Pt_Id";

Now the error message was clear, and I think PG is following the standard
here. But I have a question just for my own education.

It seems to me, given that "Person".id is declared as the primary key, it
should possible to deduce that there is no way that the 1st query could ever
have multiple values of "DateOfBirth" to choose from when building a result
row. Am I missing something? Or am I right, that this is something that SQL
could do but simply doesn't, for whatever reason, historical, complexity...

In fact, what's even more surprising to me, is that if I change the grouping
to the other side of the join, it still doesn't work:

select max(t1."When"), t2.id, t2."DateOfBirth"
from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
group by t2.id;

Come on, I'm grouping on the primary key and it thinks that there might be
multiple values for the other columns?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

Re: SQL question re aggregates & joins

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 28 January 2010 21:32, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com> wrote:
[...]

You can't include an aggregate in the select if you don't group by non-aggregates, so it should be:

select max(t1."When"), t1."Pt_Id", t2."DateOfBirth"
from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
group by t1."Pt_Id", t2."DateOfBirth";

and likewise

select max(t1."When"), t2.id, t2."DateOfBirth"
from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
group by t2.id, t2."DateOfBirth";

PostgreSQL might already know that there is only 1 date of birth per ID, but it still doesn't make sense to select them both and group by one of them when an aggregate is present (even though MySQL will ignore that and just fill out what it thinks you missed internally)

Regards

Thom

Re: SQL question re aggregates & joins

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> You can't include an aggregate in the select if you don't group by
> non-aggregates, so it should be:
>
> select max(t1."When"), t1."Pt_Id", t2."DateOfBirth"
> from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
> where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
> group by t1."Pt_Id", t2."DateOfBirth";

I was aware that I could alternatively group by all the columns, but that
actually just highlights the redundancy even more--consider your second
example:

select max(t1."When"), t2.id , t2."DateOfBirth"
from "PtStaffAccess" t1, "Person" t2
where t1."Pt_Id" = t2.id
group by t2.id, t2."DateOfBirth";

Given that t2.id is the primary key, grouping by any other column of t2 is
really redundant. I know *what* SQL won't allow me to do, I'm interested in
knowing if there's some reason *why* other than historical...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com
http://www.killerbytes.com/
(303) 722-0567 voice

Re: SQL question re aggregates & joins

От
"Dann Corbit"
Дата:

Having a group by on a primary key in a single table is of no value.  After all, the group by accomplishes nothing at
all.

Having a group by on the primary key of one table in a join does not guarantee uniqueness of the join result.

Consider the simplified schema
Table Customers:
Custname varchar(80)
Custaddr varchar(80)
Custid int primary key
Data:
{'Joe', 'Paris France', 1}
{'Fred', 'Seattle USA', 2}

Table Orders:
OrderID int
Custid int
OrderItem int
OrderQty int
OrderPrice Numeric 12.2
Primary key: OrderID, CustID, OrderItem
Foreign key: CustiID references Customers(CustID)
Data:
{1, 1, 17, 2, 12.92},
{1, 1, 12, 5, 14.75},
{2, 2, 9, 1, 27.45},
{2, 2, 2, 8, 11.23},
{2, 2, 1, 1, 123.45}

SELECT c.Custid, c.CustName, c.Custaddr, o.OrderID, o.OrderItem, sum(o.OrderQty * o.OrderPrice) as dollars
From Customers c, Orders o
WHERE c.Custid = o.Custid
GROUP BY c.Custid

Now, c.Custid is the primary key for Customers and also a foreign key for Orders and yet the query is utter nonsense.
Had all of the primary key columns for the second table been included, then the group by is superfluous.  Having one or
moreof the primary key columns left out from the child table but added to the group by list changes the meaning and
valueof the result.

I have always thought this way for aggregate queries:
1. Add an aggregate function to each column that you are aggregating in some way.
2. Add a 'group by' for every column that is not being aggregated.
Anything else means that the query has not been thought through carefully.

IMO-YMMV

Re: SQL question re aggregates & joins

Дата:
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com> writes:
> Given that t2.id is the primary key, grouping by any other column of t2 is
> really redundant. I know *what* SQL won't allow me to do, I'm interested in
> knowing if there's some reason *why* other than historical...

SQL92 says so.  More recent versions of the SQL spec describe allowing
omission of grouping columns when one of them can be proven unique,
but it's complicated and we haven't got round to doing it.

            regards, tom lane