Обсуждение: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
In one of my new roles, one of my projects has been to setup a proof of
concept solution using PostgreSQL, which one emphasis being on performance
monitoring during testing / dev ...

We are mainly a nagios / cacti environment, and I came across:

     http://forums.cacti.net/about23300.html&highlight=postgres

Which works well, but only includes 4 graphs, and is database specific,
without (it seems) a 'server wide' functionality ...

Has anyone done any work on this / added features ... ?

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> We are mainly a nagios / cacti environment, and I came across...

Why start with Cacti then?  There's way more Nagios integration
available; the little check_pgsql that comes with it (I think it's still
there), and the whole list at
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Databases/PostgresQL

I'd think that starting with http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres for
example would put you way ahead of anything that's available for Cacti.

Re: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
First, thanks for the pointer to the Check_postgres stuff, definitely alot
of good stuff in there ... but ... that is a totally different beast then
I'm looking at from Cacti (or, so I believe) ... for instance,
Check_posgres:database_size will alert me if I go over X size, which is
useful but with Cacti, I get a graph of waht the size is over a 5 min
period of time, so I can watch growth ...

That said, just found the Check_postgres:dbstats function that ", and
outputs it in a Cacti-friendly manner" ... so that alone will make it
useful to install (we use Nagios also, but right now we're looking at
performance stats vs up/downtime, but the latter will be required when we
go production) ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Greg, before I start hacking away at it, do you have any examples of using
check_postgres_dbstats with cacti?  rather not recreate teh wheel is
someone has already done it ...

thx ...

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Greg Smith wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> We are mainly a nagios / cacti environment, and I came across...
>
> Why start with Cacti then?  There's way more Nagios integration available;
> the little check_pgsql that comes with it (I think it's still there), and the
> whole list at
> http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Databases/PostgresQL
>
> I'd think that starting with http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres for
> example would put you way ahead of anything that's available for Cacti.
>
> --
> Greg Smith  2ndQuadrant US  Baltimore, MD
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
> greg@2ndQuadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 14:43 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> First, thanks for the pointer to the Check_postgres stuff, definitely alot
> of good stuff in there ... but ... that is a totally different beast then
> I'm looking at from Cacti (or, so I believe) ... for instance,
> Check_posgres:database_size will alert me if I go over X size, which is
> useful but with Cacti, I get a graph of waht the size is over a 5 min
> period of time, so I can watch growth ...

Check out Hyperic.  We're currently evaluating it for profiling out
systems, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Greg (or anyone out there) ... have you had any experience with using
check_postgres.pl --action=dbstats with Cacti?  I'm getting, in my
cacti.log, a result of:

SPINE: Poller[0] Host[124] DS[2619] SCRIPT:
/usr/local/bin/check_postgres.pl --action=dbstats --host=192.0.2.23
--dbuser=monitor --dbpass=monitor --dbname=test, output: U

The specific problem bing the 'output: U', which should look something
like:

output: backends:1 commits:97645 rollbacks:5 read:177034 hit:6872718
idxscan:0 idxtupread:0 idxtupfetch:0 idxblksread:2199 idxblkshit:3
seqscan:3 seqtupread:1000110 ret:24845129 fetch:2956289 ins:2201738
upd:3999 del:312 dbname:test

Google seems to have a bunch of stuff talking about 'output: U', but
dating back to '06 and older ... the command runs fine (and fast) from the
command line, so not a timeout ...

So, anyone using dbstats with the newest version of Cacti, and have it
working?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Greg, before I start hacking away at it, do you have any examples of using
> check_postgres_dbstats with cacti?  rather not recreate teh wheel is someone
> has already done it ...
>
> thx ...
>
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Greg Smith wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> We are mainly a nagios / cacti environment, and I came across...
>>
>> Why start with Cacti then?  There's way more Nagios integration available;
>> the little check_pgsql that comes with it (I think it's still there), and
>> the whole list at
>> http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Databases/PostgresQL
>>
>> I'd think that starting with http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres for
>> example would put you way ahead of anything that's available for Cacti.
>>
>> --
>> Greg Smith  2ndQuadrant US  Baltimore, MD
>> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
>> greg@2ndQuadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
> scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org
>
> Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org

Re: Cacti + PostgreSQL Graphing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Found it ... spine (the new poller for cacti) doesnt' seem to report
errors very well ... switched to cmd.php and it turns out that, low and
behold, it can't find psql since /usr/local/bin isn't part of the path ...
fixed that in check_postgres.pl and all works well now ...