Обсуждение: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 Error

ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 Error

От
"Wang, Mary Y"
Дата:
Hi All,
I got the following error and not sure how to fix it.
"psql:/tmp/030610dumpfile.txt:4369: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93
HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is
controlledby "client_encoding"."

Any ideas?
I'm running on Postgres 8.3.8.

Mary

Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 Error

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Mary Y Wang wrote:
> I got the following error and not sure how to fix it.
> "psql:/tmp/030610dumpfile.txt:4369: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93
> HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does
> not match the encoding expected by the server, which is
> controlled by "client_encoding"."
>
> Any ideas?
> I'm running on Postgres 8.3.8.

You must either change the client encoding to the encoding of the
data you are feeding the client, or you must change the data to
match the client encoding.

Client encoding can be changed with the SQL statement
"SET client_encoding = ..." or by setting the PGCLIENTENCODING
environment variable.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 Error

От
Michał Pawlikowski
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
> Mary Y Wang wrote:
>> I got the following error and not sure how to fix it.
>> "psql:/tmp/030610dumpfile.txt:4369: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93

look here:
http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2010/03/07/error-invalid-byte-sequence-for-encoding/

Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 Error

От
"Wang, Mary Y"
Дата:
Hi Michal,

Thanks for the info.  However, the text that the user entered is all in English letters.  I saw this error, when I
restoredmy database with the pg_dump --insert option.  That row didn't get inserted to the table.  What's interesting
aboutthis problem is that when I manually entered the data to the database via psql, this record made it without any
problems.It's still a mystery to me .....

Mary

>> I got the following error and not sure how to fix it.
>> "psql:/tmp/030610dumpfile.txt:4369: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for
>> encoding "UTF8": 0x93

look here:
http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2010/03/07/error-invalid-byte-sequence-for-encoding/

Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x93 Error

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Wang, Mary Y escribió:
> Hi Michal,
>
> Thanks for the info.  However, the text that the user entered is all in English letters.  I saw this error, when I
restoredmy database with the pg_dump --insert option.  That row didn't get inserted to the table.  What's interesting
aboutthis problem is that when I manually entered the data to the database via psql, this record made it without any
problems.It's still a mystery to me .....

Well, 0x93 is certainly not an english letter; most likely it's a
win1252-encoded curved single quote.  That's not within the ASCII
definition.  You can probably insert the data by declaring

SET client_encoding TO 'win1252'

at the start of the file.

Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8":0x93 Error

От
"Wang, Mary Y"
Дата:
Thanks Alvaro.  What do I do with a apostrophe  (such as I've)?

Mary

> Thanks for the info.  However, the text that the user entered is all in English letters.  I saw this error, when I
restoredmy database with the pg_dump --insert option.  That row didn't get inserted to the table.  What's interesting
aboutthis problem is that when I manually entered the data to the database via psql, this record made it without any
problems.It's still a mystery to me .....

Well, 0x93 is certainly not an english letter; most likely it's a win1252-encoded curved single quote.  That's not
withinthe ASCII definition.  You can probably insert the data by declaring

SET client_encoding TO 'win1252'

at the start of the file.

Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8":0x93 Error

От
"Wang, Mary Y"
Дата:
Ok. What was I thinking, the "curved single quote" that you talked about is the apostrophe.  It makes sense now.
Thanks
Mary