Обсуждение: tables getting bloated

tables getting bloated

От
akp geek
Дата:
Hi All -

              I have been doing vacuum full on the database. Also I do vacuum these 2 tables. But there are 2 tables they are getting bloated like any thing. Just only 2 tables. Can you please suggest that I can do to tackle the issue. Appreciate your help

Regards

Re: tables getting bloated

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 09:35 -0400, akp geek wrote:
>   I have been doing vacuum full on the database. A

Why? VF does not help you to get rid of bloat -- actually it will create
more bloat.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: tables getting bloated

От
akp geek
Дата:
I have job that does the vacuum full every day for those 2 tables and also for the database. By the end of the day, the get bloated.

Regards

2010/3/18 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>
On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 09:35 -0400, akp geek wrote:
>   I have been doing vacuum full on the database. A

Why? VF does not help you to get rid of bloat -- actually it will create
more bloat.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org
http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

Re: tables getting bloated

От
Vick Khera
Дата:
2010/3/18 akp geek <akpgeek@gmail.com>:
> I have job that does the vacuum full every day for those 2 tables and also
> for the database. By the end of the day, the get bloated.

Do not run vacuum full.  Run vacuum.  For these two tables, run vacuum
more often, as you clearly are updating it very frequently.  You may
want to investigate running autovacuum which will probably take care
of this for you.

For our big database, I run vacuum nightly on the whole thing, and let
autovacuum run as well, to take care of the high-churn tables.  I run
the nightly just to keep the autovacuum from running during peak times
on my larger tables which don't churn as much, but are speed
sensitive.

Re: tables getting bloated

От
Craig Ringer