Обсуждение: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...

How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...

От
Yogi Yang 007
Дата:
Hello,

I am new to pgSQL. I would like to know if there is a way to do the
following using pure SQL:
1. Retrieve list of all Tables in a database
2. Retrieve list of all Functions, Triggers, Sequences, Views, etc.
3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles
5. Structure of a Table

TIA

Yogi Yang

Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...

От
Tadipathri Raghu
Дата:
Hi Yogi Yang,

Psql is a very strong tool, and easy to use. Please find the answers for your queries
>>1. Retrieve list of all Tables in a database
>>2. Retrieve list of all Functions, Triggers, Sequences, Views, etc.
>>3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
postgres=#\d{t|i|s|v|S|g|n}

you can use any of the things as per your requirement

>>4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles
>>5. Structure of a Table
postgres=# \d  <tablename>

Hope this will help you out

Regards
Raghavendar

TIA

Yogi Yang

Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Yogi Yang 007 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to pgSQL. I would like to know if there is a way to do the
> following using pure SQL:
> 1. Retrieve list of all Tables in a database
> 2. Retrieve list of all Functions, Triggers, Sequences, Views, etc.
> 3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
> 4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles
> 5. Structure of a Table

most of that stuff can be fetched from the INFORMATION_SCHEMA, such as ..

    select * from information_schema.tables where table_schema not in
('pg_catalog','information_schema');

    select * from information_schema.columns where
table_schema='schemaname' and table_name='tablename';

note, * on both of these returns a lot of data, you may want to be more
selective, depending on just what infoyou need to know, especially about
the columns.

Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...

От
Scott Mead

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
Yogi Yang 007 wrote:
Hello,

I am new to pgSQL. I would like to know if there is a way to do the following using pure SQL:
1. Retrieve list of all Tables in a database
2. Retrieve list of all Functions, Triggers, Sequences, Views, etc.
3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles
5. Structure of a Table

If you want to learn the postgres catalogs, fire up 'psql -E'

  When you use the meta-commands like \dt  -- lists tables.... then it will show you the SQL it ran to generate the table list.  Run those meta-commands and pay attention to the emitted SQL, it's helpful.

--Scott

most of that stuff can be fetched from the INFORMATION_SCHEMA, such as ..

  select * from information_schema.tables where table_schema not in ('pg_catalog','information_schema');

  select * from information_schema.columns where table_schema='schemaname' and table_name='tablename';

note, * on both of these returns a lot of data, you may want to be more selective, depending on just what infoyou need to know, especially about the columns.

Re: How to retrive List of Tables in a Database using...

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Yogi Yang 007 wrote:
> 3. Retrieve list of all Group Roles
> 4. Retrieve list of all Login Roles

there is no difference between these, except in usage.