Обсуждение: Floating point exception in initdb

Floating point exception in initdb

От
"Vikram Patil"

Hello Guys,

    I am getting an floating exception while running initdb from custom built postgresql . I am using suse linux for installing postgresql.

initDB.sh: line 14: 20285 Floating point exception$pgsql_home/bin/initdb -A password -U postgres --pwfile="pwFile" -E UTF8 -D postgresql/data /log/initDB.log

 --Warning. PostgreSQL database can't be initialized successfully, please manually create schema or migrate encyclopedia DB after initialized the

Same thing works on redhat machine without any issues.Following link says:

Work around gcc bug that causes "floating-point exception" instead of "division by zero" on some platforms (Tom)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4-1.html

I am not able to located description about this bug. Please also let me know where I can look at this bug description

Thanks & Regards,

Vikram

Re: Floating point exception in initdb

Дата:
"Vikram Patil" <vpatil@actuate.com> writes:
>     I am getting an floating exception while running initdb from custom
> built postgresql . I am using suse linux for installing postgresql.

> initDB.sh: line 14: 20285 Floating point exception$pgsql_home/bin/initdb
> -A password -U postgres --pwfile="pwFile" -E UTF8 -D postgresql/data
> /log/initDB.log

Hm, dunno what's causing that ...

> Work around gcc bug that causes "floating-point exception" instead of
> "division by zero" on some platforms (Tom)

... but I'm quite sure that patch won't fix it for you, because it was
in code that wouldn't get executed during initdb.

What compiler are you using, for what hardware?  Did you use any
nondefault configure or compiler switches?  Have you modified the
Postgres sources at all?  Which step of initdb gets the failure?
Try running that step under gdb so you can get a stack trace pointing
at the failure location.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Floating point exception in initdb

От
"Vikram Patil"
Дата:
Thanks for reply Tom. I am having source code form 8.4.1 version which
is released on 09-09-2009.

I was able to install it on Redhat machine without any issues.  But I am
facing this issue while running initdb on Suse Ent. 9 machine.( Linux
2.6.5-7.97-smp #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 14:21:59 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux )

Source code was compiled in following environment:

Gcc : version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
Kernel Version: 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP

With Configure string:
./configure --prefix=$BIN_DIR --without-zlib --without-readline

I built debug build using CFLAGS="-g" for configuring and now trying to
step through for finding failure location.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikram

>     I am getting an floating exception while running initdb from
custom
> built postgresql . I am using suse linux for installing postgresql.

> initDB.sh: line 14: 20285 Floating point
exception$pgsql_home/bin/initdb
> -A password -U postgres --pwfile="pwFile" -E UTF8 -D postgresql/data
> /log/initDB.log

Hm, dunno what's causing that ...

> Work around gcc bug that causes "floating-point exception" instead of
> "division by zero" on some platforms (Tom)

... but I'm quite sure that patch won't fix it for you, because it was
in code that wouldn't get executed during initdb.

What compiler are you using, for what hardware?  Did you use any
nondefault configure or compiler switches?  Have you modified the
Postgres sources at all?  Which step of initdb gets the failure?
Try running that step under gdb so you can get a stack trace pointing
at the failure location.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Floating point exception in initdb

Дата:
"Vikram Patil" <vpatil@actuate.com> writes:
> Thanks for reply Tom. I am having source code form 8.4.1 version which
> is released on 09-09-2009.

> I was able to install it on Redhat machine without any issues.  But I am
> facing this issue while running initdb on Suse Ent. 9 machine.( Linux
> 2.6.5-7.97-smp #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 14:21:59 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux )

> Source code was compiled in following environment:
> Gcc : version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
> Kernel Version: 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP

[ squint... ]  This isn't totally clear, but are you saying you compiled
on some semi-recent Red Hat platform and are trying to run the resulting
executables on an old SUSE platform?  I wouldn't really expect that to
work.  glibc's API changes from time to time.  Would be better to
compile on the same release you're planning to run on.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Floating point exception in initdb

От
"Vikram Patil"
Дата:
Tom,

   Thanks for guidelines. I checked glibc versions. I am currently using
glibc libarary 2.3.3  on SUSE platform while build machine I used has
glibc library 2.5 . I will try to install it on SUSE machine with glibc
library 2.5.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikram