Обсуждение: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
ritas
Дата:
Hi,

When I try to install postgres 8.4 on windows server 2003, I get the
following error: "A non-fatal error occurred whilst loading database
modules. Please check the installation logs in C:/docs&setttings/user/local
settings/temp for details". The log file doesn't have any error, but it
looks like it stopped in the middle. Also, it doesn't install the postgres
service. I have attached the log file. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p28657511/bitrock_installer_1004serverlog.log
bitrock_installer_1004serverlog.log

Re: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
Sachin Srivastava
Дата:
On 5/24/10 7:52 PM, ritas wrote:
Hi,

When I try to install postgres 8.4 on windows server 2003, I get the
following error: "A non-fatal error occurred whilst loading database
modules. Please check the installation logs in C:/docs&setttings/user/local
settings/temp for details". The log file doesn't have any error, but it
looks like it stopped in the middle. Also, it doesn't install the postgres
service. I have attached the log file. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p28657511/bitrock_installer_1004serverlog.log
bitrock_installer_1004serverlog.log
There must be a log file with name install-postgresql.log in the %TEMP% directory.

--
Regards,
Sachin Srivastava

Re: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
ritas
Дата:
Thanks Sachin for your response. I have attached the install-postgresql.log.
Also, if it helps, I have the following error in my event viewer: pg_ctl:
could not register service "postgresql-8.4": error code 0
The postgres service is not listed under services.

Thanks.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p28660078/install-postgresql.log
install-postgresql.log

Sachin Srivastava-2 wrote:

> On 5/24/10 7:52 PM, ritas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I try to install postgres 8.4 on windows server 2003, I get the
>> following error: "A non-fatal error occurred whilst loading database
>> modules. Please check the installation logs in
>> C:/docs&setttings/user/local
>> settings/temp for details". The log file doesn't have any error, but it
>> looks like it stopped in the middle. Also, it doesn't install the
>> postgres
>> service. I have attached the log file. Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28657511/bitrock_installer_1004serverlog.log
>> bitrock_installer_1004serverlog.log
>>
> There must be a log file with name install-postgresql.log in the %TEMP%
> directory.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sachin Srivastava
> EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com>, the Enterprise Postgres
> <http://www.enterprisedb.com> company.

Re: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
Sachin Srivastava
Дата:
Hi,

What happens if you register the service with pg_ctl directly as:

<Path to PGHOME>\bin\pg_ctl.exe  register -N <ServiceName> -U <Username> -P <Password> -D <Path to DataDirectory> -w

Sachin Srivastava-2 wrote:
On 5/24/10 7:52 PM, ritas wrote:
[...]

"Massa, Harald Armin"
Дата:
Ritas,

>modules. Please check the installation logs in C:/docs&setttings/user/local
>settings/temp for details". The log file doesn't have any error, but it

that directory name for "docs and settings" looks strange to me. (disclaimer: using German language versions of Windows); I am used to "documents and settings" and no "&" in directory names.

so let me throw in a very, very wild guess: is your Programs and Files directory possibly
"Progs&Files" or similiar?

My suggestion is to try to install PostgreSQL in a place without an "&" in the directory name ...

(just a feeling deep from my belly)

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
ritas

I tried that and I get the same error: pg_ctl: could not register service
"postgresql-8.4": error code 0

Sachin Srivastava-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What happens if you register the service with pg_ctl directly as:
>
> <Path to PGHOME>\bin\pg_ctl.exe  register -N <ServiceName> -U <Username>
> -P <Password> -D <Path to DataDirectory> -w
>

> On 5/24/10 11:58 PM, ritas wrote:
>> Thanks Sachin for your response. I have attached the
>> install-postgresql.log.
>> Also, if it helps, I have the following error in my event viewer: pg_ctl:
>> could not register service "postgresql-8.4": error code 0
>> The postgres service is not listed under services.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28660078/install-postgresql.log
>> install-postgresql.log
>>
>> Sachin Srivastava-2 wrote:

>>> There must be a log file with name install-postgresql.log in the %TEMP%
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Sachin Srivastava
>>> EnterpriseDB<http://www.enterprisedb.com>, the Enterprise Postgres
>>> <http://www.enterprisedb.com>  company.
>>>

> --
> Regards,
> Sachin Srivastava
> EnterpriseDB <http://www.enterprisedb.com>, the Enterprise Postgres
> <http://www.enterprisedb.com> company.

Re: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
ritas
Дата:
Herald,

I was lazy to type the whole documents and settings folder. I thought it was
obvious:)

Massa, Harald Armin wrote:

> Ritas,
>
>>modules. Please check the installation logs in
C:/docs&setttings/user/local
>>settings/temp for details". The log file doesn't have any error, but it
>
> that directory name for "docs and settings" looks strange to me.
> (disclaimer: using German language versions of Windows); I am used to
> "documents and settings" and no "&" in directory names.
>
> so let me throw in a very, very wild guess: is your Programs and Files
> directory possibly
> "Progs&Files" or similiar?
>
> My suggestion is to try to install PostgreSQL in a place without an "&" in
> the directory name ...
>
> (just a feeling deep from my belly)
>
> Harald
>

> --
> GHUM Harald Massa
> persuadere et programmare
> Harald Armin Massa
> Spielberger Straße 49
> 70435 Stuttgart
> 0173/9409607
> no fx, no carrier pigeon
> -
> Using PostgreSQL is mostly about sleeping well at night.

Re: can't install postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server

От
ritas
Дата:
Sachin,

I was using the windows user the postgres installer created to register the
service. That failed. I thought I will try a admin user and I was able to
register the service. Then I ran all the failed vb scripts in the installer
which was listed in the install-postgresql.log file: startupcfg.vbs,
createshortcuts.vbs, startserver.vbs, loadmodules.vbs. But I changed the
user for the startupcfg.vbs to one of the admin users. After doing all these
hacks it looks like postgres is installed fine.

I was wondering why the user created by postgres was not able to register
the service? Anybody else installing postgres 8.4 on windows 2003 server
have this issue? I really appreciate any help.

Thanks.