Обсуждение: Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)

Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)

От
Tom Wilcox
Дата:
Hi,

I am fighting with Postgres on a 64-bit Windows (Server 2008) machine with 96GB trying to get it to use as much memory as possible (I am the only user and I am running complex queries on large tables). [See my previous thread for details "Out of Memory and Configuration Problems (Big Computer)"].

I have changed my postgres.conf file by changing the values of shared_buffers to 1024, work_mem = 1024 and effective_cache_size=2703601.

Now my postgres service wont start from the windows Services dialog, however using pgAdmin I can start the service and connect to my database, run queries etc.

So my problem is that Windows no longer seems to think my postgres service is running even though it appears to be working fine through a client..

Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how I can fix it so that postgres uses as much memory and processing power as poss... in a stable manner?

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Sorry if this is a repeat but I have been searching for an answer to this for a LONG time (>3months).

Re: Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Tom Wilcox (hungrytom@googlemail.com) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how I can fix it so that
> postgres uses as much memory and processing power as poss... in a stable
> manner?

I realize this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, and
hopefully someone can come up with a better answer for you, but my first
reaction to this would be "move to a non-Windows platform", eg: Linux,
BSD, Solaris, etc..

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)

От
Tom Wilcox
Дата:
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, we are somewhat tied to a
Windows platform and I would expect us to sooner switch to SQL Server
rather than move to Linux/Unix/BSD.. Although, (in complete contrast to
what I just said), I am toying with the idea of the dual boot or
virtualisation options..

Cheers,
Tom

On 28/05/2010 15:44, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Tom Wilcox (hungrytom@googlemail.com) wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how I can fix it so that
>> postgres uses as much memory and processing power as poss... in a stable
>> manner?
>>
> I realize this probably isn't the answer you're looking for, and
> hopefully someone can come up with a better answer for you, but my first
> reaction to this would be "move to a non-Windows platform", eg: Linux,
> BSD, Solaris, etc..
>
>     Thanks,
>
>         Stephen

Re: Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 28 May 2010, at 15:40, Tom Wilcox wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am fighting with Postgres on a 64-bit Windows (Server 2008) machine with 96GB trying to get it to use as much
memoryas possible (I am the only user and I am running complex queries on large tables). [See my previous thread for
details"Out of Memory and Configuration Problems (Big Computer)"].

There is no 64-bit Windows version of the postgresql binaries, so you probably won't be able to use more than 2 or 4 GB
ofall that memory...

There will be one once Postgres 9 is released: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/64bit_Windows_port

> I have changed my postgres.conf file by changing the values of shared_buffers to 1024, work_mem = 1024 and
effective_cache_size=2703601.

I'm pretty sure those values are in bytes, so these are awfully small values for a database server.

> Now my postgres service wont start from the windows Services dialog, however using pgAdmin I can start the service
andconnect to my database, run queries etc.

Sorry, can't help you there - I rarely use Windows.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4bffe51f10216640413027!