Обсуждение: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Schwaighofer Clemens
Дата:
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I can show the current search_path, or
better the first search_path entry (the active schema) in the PROMPT
variable for psql.

Is there any way to do that? I couldn't find anything useful ...

--
★ Clemens 呉 Schwaighofer
★ IT Engineer/Web Producer/Planning

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which
it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is
privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to
disclaimer@tbwaworld.com and please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media.
We appreciate your cooperation.

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:52:49PM +0900, Schwaighofer Clemens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how I can show the current search_path, or
> better the first search_path entry (the active schema) in the PROMPT
> variable for psql.
>
> Is there any way to do that? I couldn't find anything useful ...

5432 josh@josh# SHOW search_path;
  search_path
----------------
 "$user",public
(1 row)

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Вложения

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 06/11/2010 10:23 AM, Joshua Tolley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:52:49PM +0900, Schwaighofer Clemens wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to figure out how I can show the current search_path, or
>> better the first search_path entry (the active schema) in the PROMPT
>> variable for psql.
>>
>> Is there any way to do that? I couldn't find anything useful ...
>
> 5432 josh@josh# SHOW search_path;
>    search_path
> ----------------
>   "$user",public
> (1 row)
>
> --
> Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
> End Point Corporation
> http://www.endpoint.com

 From here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-info.html
current_schema[()]

Maybe combined with
%`command`

     The output of command, similar to ordinary "back-tick" substitution.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-psql.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Schwaighofer Clemens
<clemens.schwaighofer@tequila.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how I can show the current search_path, or
> better the first search_path entry (the active schema) in the PROMPT
> variable for psql.
>
> Is there any way to do that? I couldn't find anything useful ...

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-PROMPTING

There are lots of things you can put into a prompt, but that doesn't
appear to be one of them.  Seems like a reasonable feature request.

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 10:23 AM, Joshua Tolley wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 05:52:49PM +0900, Schwaighofer Clemens wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to figure out how I can show the current search_path, or
>>> better the first search_path entry (the active schema) in the PROMPT
>>> variable for psql.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to do that? I couldn't find anything useful ...
>>
>> 5432 josh@josh# SHOW search_path;
>>   search_path
>> ----------------
>>  "$user",public
>> (1 row)
>>
>> --
>> Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
>> End Point Corporation
>> http://www.endpoint.com
>
> From here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-info.html
> current_schema[()]
>
> Maybe combined with
> %`command`
>
>    The output of command, similar to ordinary "back-tick" substitution.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-psql.html

But that runs a shell command, how's that supposed to get the
search_path?  I've been trying to think up a solution to that and
can't come up with one.

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 06/11/2010 11:10 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Adrian Klaver<adrian.klaver@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> 5432 josh@josh# SHOW search_path;
>>>    search_path
>>> ----------------
>>>   "$user",public
>>> (1 row)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
>>> End Point Corporation
>>> http://www.endpoint.com
>>
>>  From here:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/functions-info.html
>> current_schema[()]
>>
>> Maybe combined with
>> %`command`
>>
>>     The output of command, similar to ordinary "back-tick" substitution.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/app-psql.html
>
> But that runs a shell command, how's that supposed to get the
> search_path?  I've been trying to think up a solution to that and
> can't come up with one.

I tried running a psql command using current_schema. It got the schema,
unfortunately on a different session than the one I was in. So no it
will not work.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> But that runs a shell command, how's that supposed to get the
> search_path?  I've been trying to think up a solution to that and
> can't come up with one.

Yeah, and you do *not* want the prompt mechanism trying to send SQL
commands...

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>> But that runs a shell command, how's that supposed to get the
>> search_path?  I've been trying to think up a solution to that and
>> can't come up with one.
>
> Yeah, and you do *not* want the prompt mechanism trying to send SQL
> commands...

Would a more generic way to access pgsql settings in a \set prompt be useful?

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Clemens Schwaighofer
Дата:
Right now I added two simple wrappers in my .psqlrc

\set shsh 'SHOW search_path;'
\set setsh 'SET search_path TO'

So I can at least set and check the schema more quickly.

But seeing it in the PROMPT would be th best.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 05:26, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>>> But that runs a shell command, how's that supposed to get the
>>> search_path?  I've been trying to think up a solution to that and
>>> can't come up with one.
>>
>> Yeah, and you do *not* want the prompt mechanism trying to send SQL
>> commands...
>
> Would a more generic way to access pgsql settings in a \set prompt be useful?
>
> --

★ Clemens 呉 Schwaighofer
★ IT Engineer/Web Producer/Planning
★ E-Graphics Communications SP Digital
★ 6-17-2 Ginza Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-8167, JAPAN
★ Tel: +81-(0)3-3545-7706
★ Fax: +81-(0)3-3545-7343
★ http://www.e-gra.co.jp

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which
it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is
privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to
disclaimer@tbwaworld.com and please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media.
We appreciate your cooperation.

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 14 Jun 2010, at 2:02, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> Right now I added two simple wrappers in my .psqlrc
>
> \set shsh 'SHOW search_path;'
> \set setsh 'SET search_path TO'
>
> So I can at least set and check the schema more quickly.

That only saves you a few key-presses though. Is your psql built with libreadline? Without it you don't get
TAB-completion,that would be a nuisance!

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4c160039286219954085656!

Re: How to show the current schema or search path in the psql PROMP

От
Schwaighofer Clemens
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:10, Alban Hertroys
<dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2010, at 2:02, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
>
>> Right now I added two simple wrappers in my .psqlrc
>>
>> \set shsh 'SHOW search_path;'
>> \set setsh 'SET search_path TO'
>>
>> So I can at least set and check the schema more quickly.
>

> That only saves you a few key-presses though. Is your psql built with libreadline? Without it you don't get
TAB-completion,that would be a nuisance!

even with readline it is quicker to type :shsh to see the current
schema thant to type full thing.

--
[...]

Дата:
On 14 Jun 2010, at 12:14, Schwaighofer Clemens wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:10, Alban Hertroys
> <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>> On 14 Jun 2010, at 2:02, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
>>
>>> Right now I added two simple wrappers in my .psqlrc
>>>
>>> \set shsh 'SHOW search_path;'
>>> \set setsh 'SET search_path TO'
>>>
>>> So I can at least set and check the schema more quickly.
>>

>> That only saves you a few key-presses though. Is your psql built with libreadline? Without it you don't get
TAB-completion,that would be a nuisance!

> even with readline it is quicker to type :shsh to see the current
> schema thant to type full thing.

Do you realise you only save 3 key-presses there, compared to "sh[TAB]sea[TAB];"? That's a rhetorical question btw,
it'sentirely up to you to define any short-cuts you want.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4c160855286213993713473!