Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 3 release announcement

PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 3 release announcement

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Could someone clarify the info in this paragraph:

"Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database
reload will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage
users to use this opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from
Beta2 or an earlier version of 9.0. Please report your results."

This suggests that the system catalog change only occurred in Beta2,
not Beta3.  So if that's the case, why would I want to test pg_upgrade
going from Beta2 to Beta3 if they use the same system catalog layout?

Thom

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 3 release announcement

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Thom Brown wrote:
> Could someone clarify the info in this paragraph:
>
> "Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database
> reload will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage
> users to use this opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from
> Beta2 or an earlier version of 9.0. Please report your results."
>
> This suggests that the system catalog change only occurred in Beta2,
> not Beta3.  So if that's the case, why would I want to test pg_upgrade
> going from Beta2 to Beta3 if they use the same system catalog layout?

Yes, this is wrong.  It should be "We encourage users to use this
opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from Beta1 or an earlier
version of 9.0. Please report your results."  However, I see the beta3
release notes are now on the web site so it seems too late to fix this.

Sorry I missed seeing this problem earlier.

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 3 release announcement

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote on 12.07.2010 21:34:
> Thom Brown wrote:
>> Could someone clarify the info in this paragraph:
>>
>> "Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database
>> reload will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage
>> users to use this opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from
>> Beta2 or an earlier version of 9.0. Please report your results."
>>
>> This suggests that the system catalog change only occurred in Beta2,
>> not Beta3.  So if that's the case, why would I want to test pg_upgrade
>> going from Beta2 to Beta3 if they use the same system catalog layout?
>
> Yes, this is wrong.  It should be "We encourage users to use this
> opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from Beta1 or an earlier
> version of 9.0. Please report your results."  However, I see the beta3
> release notes are now on the web site so it seems too late to fix this.

I'm a bit confused that pg_upgrade is "advertised" in this way, but is "hidden" in the manual under "additionally
suppliedmodules".

If I was a new user, I would look in the administration chapter for any reference on how to do in-place upgrades.

Is there any reason why pg_upgrade is not documented in the "main" manual?

Regards
Thomas

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 beta 3 release announcement

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote on 12.07.2010 21:34:
> > Thom Brown wrote:
> >> Could someone clarify the info in this paragraph:
> >>
> >> "Note that, due to a system catalog change, an initdb and database
> >> reload will be required for upgrading from 9.0Beta1. We encourage
> >> users to use this opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from
> >> Beta2 or an earlier version of 9.0. Please report your results."
> >>
> >> This suggests that the system catalog change only occurred in Beta2,
> >> not Beta3.  So if that's the case, why would I want to test pg_upgrade
> >> going from Beta2 to Beta3 if they use the same system catalog layout?
> >
> > Yes, this is wrong.  It should be "We encourage users to use this
> > opportunity to test pg_upgrade for the upgrade from Beta1 or an earlier
> > version of 9.0. Please report your results."  However, I see the beta3
> > release notes are now on the web site so it seems too late to fix this.
>
> I'm a bit confused that pg_upgrade is "advertised" in this way, but is "hidden" in the manual under "additionally
suppliedmodules".

> If I was a new user, I would look in the administration chapter for any reference on how to do in-place upgrades.
>
> Is there any reason why pg_upgrade is not documented in the "main" manual?

Well, pg_upgrade was only added in beta2, so maybe we need to go back
and mention it as part of upgrading.