Обсуждение: Automated Database Backups

Automated Database Backups

От
John Iliffe
Дата:
Does anyone have a way to run pg_dump from cron in a way that doesn't
require someone to enter the password on every run?  I get the following
error even when the backup user has read permissions on all application
databases.

The database that fails is part of the PostgreSQL kernel, not my
application data so I'm leery of tampering with permissions here.

The command line I am using is:

/usr/postgres-8.4.2/bin/pg_dump -f /notraid/dbbkup.`date +%Y%m%d` -F
custom -v -U xxxx dbxxxx

Thanks in advance.

John

Re: Automated Database Backups

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 15/10/2010 22:12, John Iliffe wrote:
> Does anyone have a way to run pg_dump from cron in a way that doesn't
> require someone to enter the password on every run?  I get the following
> error even when the backup user has read permissions on all application
> databases.

You need to use a .pgpasss file:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html

You can instead specify the password in an environment variable, but
that potentially makes it visible to all users on the system, so the
.pgpass is better.

HTH,

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Automated Database Backups

От
Gary Chambers
Дата:
John,

> Does anyone have a way to run pg_dump from cron in a way that doesn't
> require someone to enter the password on every run?  I get the following
> error even when the backup user has read permissions on all application
> databases.

You can use the .pgpass file in the backup owner's home directory:

*:5432:*:postgres:MyPassword
*:5432:*:xxxx:XsPassword

-- Gary Chambers

Re: Automated Database Backups

От
John Iliffe
Дата:
Thanks to those who replied to my post.

I tried that and works a treat!

Regards.

John
On Sat, 2010-16-10 at 17:18 +0100, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 15/10/2010 22:12, John Iliffe wrote:
> > Does anyone have a way to run pg_dump from cron in a way that doesn't
> > require someone to enter the password on every run?  I get the following
> > error even when the backup user has read permissions on all application
> > databases.
>
> You need to use a .pgpasss file:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html
>
> You can instead specify the password in an environment variable, but
> that potentially makes it visible to all users on the system, so the
> .pgpass is better.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ray.
>

> --
> Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
> rod@iol.ie

Re: Automated Database Backups

От
Radosław Smogura
Дата:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:12:50 -0400, John Iliffe <john.iliffe@iliffe.ca>
wrote:
> Does anyone have a way to run pg_dump from cron in a way that doesn't
> require someone to enter the password on every run?  I get the following
> error even when the backup user has read permissions on all application
> databases.

You can configure PSQL to use ident authentication, it should be
configured as default, so user "postgres" have full access to all
databases. Then assign home directory for this user, and create user
specified cron file. Then you will don't need to store password.

--
Radosław Smogura