Обсуждение: check constraint on insert but not delete

check constraint on insert but not delete

От
"Gauthier, Dave"

This is a longshot, but here goes...

Is there a way to require that a check constraint be checked on insert but not update?    Worth knowing is that my check constraint runs a PLPgsql proc which returns a yes/no kinf of flag which the constraint proper checks.

Thanks !

Re: check constraint on insert but not delete

От
Vick Khera
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to require that a check constraint be checked on insert but
> not update?    Worth knowing is that my check constraint runs a PLPgsql proc
> which returns a yes/no kinf of flag which the constraint proper checks.

Use an explicit ON INSERT trigger that calls your procedure instead of
a check constraint.

Re: check constraint on insert but not delete

От
Richard Broersma
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to require that a check constraint be checked on insert but
> not update?    Worth knowing is that my check constraint runs a PLPgsql proc
> which returns a yes/no kinf of flag which the constraint proper checks.
I think by definition, Check constraints cannot differentiate between
an update or insert.  Its only concern is if the data is valid or not.

If you need this flexibility, you should probably look at check constraints:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-createconstraint.html

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.