Обсуждение: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

От
"Gauthier, Dave"

Hi:

I'm working with 2 different PG installs on 2 different linux servers, one running v9.0.1 and the other v8.3.4.  The older install is "frozen" for the project (which is nearing completion) for environment stability reasons.  This is out of my control.  I cannot upgrade v8.3.4 on that server.  But I would like to be able to use psql v9.0.1 on the older DB.  It seems to work, with a warning that some features may not be available or work right.

My question has to do with backward compatibility, v9.0.1 and v8.3.4.  Can I use v9.0.1 software (psql, pg_ctl, etc...) on the v8.3.4 DB with confidence?

Thanks in Advance !

Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/12/2010 18:27, Gauthier, Dave a écrit :
> Hi:
>
> I'm working with 2 different PG installs on 2 different linux servers, one running v9.0.1 and the other v8.3.4.  The
olderinstall is "frozen" for the project (which is nearing completion) for environment stability reasons.  This is out
ofmy control.  I cannot upgrade v8.3.4 on that server.  But I would like to be able to use psql v9.0.1 on the older DB.
It seems to work, with a warning that some features may not be available or work right.

> My question has to do with backward compatibility, v9.0.1 and v8.3.4.  Can I use v9.0.1 software (psql, pg_ctl,
etc...)on the v8.3.4 DB with confidence?

psql should work the same, apart from new metacommands. I don't think
you'll experience issues with pg_ctl. I would not recommend you to user
pg_dump and pg_restore. They are pretty sensitive to the PostgreSQL release.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 12/27/10 11:00 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le 27/12/2010 18:27, Gauthier, Dave a écrit :
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm working with 2 different PG installs on 2 different linux servers, one running v9.0.1 and the other v8.3.4.  The
olderinstall is "frozen" for the project (which is nearing completion) for environment stability reasons.  This is out
ofmy control.  I cannot upgrade v8.3.4 on that server.  But I would like to be able to use psql v9.0.1 on the older DB.
It seems to work, with a warning that some features may not be available or work right.

>> My question has to do with backward compatibility, v9.0.1 and v8.3.4.  Can I use v9.0.1 software (psql, pg_ctl,
etc...)on the v8.3.4 DB with confidence?

> psql should work the same, apart from new metacommands. I don't think
> you'll experience issues with pg_ctl. I would not recommend you to user
> pg_dump and pg_restore. They are pretty sensitive to the PostgreSQL release.

pg_dump is designed specifically to be able to dump from all supported
older versions so you can convert the data forwards.

pg_restore, yeah, I would not use pg_restore 9 to restore a dump onto a
8.3.x database.

Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

Дата:
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> On 12/27/10 11:00 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> psql should work the same, apart from new metacommands. I don't think
>> you'll experience issues with pg_ctl. I would not recommend you to user
>> pg_dump and pg_restore. They are pretty sensitive to the PostgreSQL release.

> pg_dump is designed specifically to be able to dump from all supported
> older versions so you can convert the data forwards.

Right, but the key word in that sentence is "forwards".  Dumping from an
8.3 database with 9.0 pg_dump will likely produce SQL that doesn't
reload into an 8.3 server, only into 9.0.

> pg_restore, yeah, I would not use pg_restore 9 to restore a dump onto a
> 8.3.x database.

It's mostly pg_dump not pg_restore that determines this.  pg_restore
just pulls out the SQL that was written by pg_dump.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 27/12/2010 20:38, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 12/27/10 11:00 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Le 27/12/2010 18:27, Gauthier, Dave a écrit :
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I'm working with 2 different PG installs on 2 different linux
>>> servers, one running v9.0.1 and the other v8.3.4.  The older install
>>> is "frozen" for the project (which is nearing completion) for
>>> environment stability reasons.  This is out of my control.  I cannot
>>> upgrade v8.3.4 on that server.  But I would like to be able to use
>>> psql v9.0.1 on the older DB.  It seems to work, with a warning that
>>> some features may not be available or work right.
>>>
>>> My question has to do with backward compatibility, v9.0.1 and
>>> v8.3.4.  Can I use v9.0.1 software (psql, pg_ctl, etc...) on the
>>> v8.3.4 DB with confidence?
>>>
>> psql should work the same, apart from new metacommands. I don't think
>> you'll experience issues with pg_ctl. I would not recommend you to user
>> pg_dump and pg_restore. They are pretty sensitive to the PostgreSQL
>> release.
>
> pg_dump is designed specifically to be able to dump from all supported
> older versions so you can convert the data forwards.

Yeah, you can dump from an old release, but you're not garanteed you'll
be able to restore it on an older release.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 12/27/10 11:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Right, but the key word in that sentence is "forwards". Dumping from an
> 8.3 database with 9.0 pg_dump will likely produce SQL that doesn't
> reload into an 8.3 server, only into 9.0.

heh, thats what I was trying to say, before my first cup of coffee :)

sorry if I was confusing.