Обсуждение: Postgis error

Postgis error

От
"Plata Martínez, Álvaro (KNMI)"
Дата:
Hi,

Using postgreSQL 8.4 and Postgis 1.4 in an Ubuntu 10.04 Server, when
trying to create a table:
CREATE TABLE observation (
(...)
spatial_value geometry,
);

I get this error message:
ERROR: type "geometry" does not exist

I supposed that installing postgis I would get the geographical object,
so I am not sure if I have to do anything else.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Alvaro.

Re: Postgis error

От
Frank Heikens
Дата:
Op 17 jan 2011, om 18:35 heeft Plata Martínez, Álvaro (KNMI) het
volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>
> Using postgreSQL 8.4 and Postgis 1.4 in an Ubuntu 10.04 Server,

Did also install the PostGIS-functions, types, etc. in your database?
Installing PostGIS is a combination of installing the package and the
SQL-parts. Check this article:
http://www.paolocorti.net/2008/01/30/installing-postgis-on-ubuntu/

> when trying to create a table:
> CREATE TABLE observation (
> (...)
> spatial_value geometry,
> );
>
> I get this error message:
> ERROR: type "geometry" does not exist
>
> I supposed that installing postgis I would get the geographical
> object, so I am not sure if I have to do anything else.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Alvaro.
> --

Regards,
Frank Heikens

Re: Postgis error

Дата:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Plata_Mart=EDnez=2C_=C1lvaro_=28KNMI=29=22?= <alvaro.plata.martinez@knmi.nl> writes:
> Using postgreSQL 8.4 and Postgis 1.4 in an Ubuntu 10.04 Server, when
> trying to create a table:
> CREATE TABLE observation (
> (...)
> spatial_value geometry,
> );

> I get this error message:
> ERROR: type "geometry" does not exist

It looks like you didn't actually install PostGIS into the database.
Just putting the library on your machine isn't enough: you have to run
a SQL script to declare all the functions in each database you want to
use PostGIS in.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgis error

От
Ludwig Kniprath
Дата:
Hi,
for adding a geometry-column to an existing table use one of the
postgis-functions "select AddGeometryColumn(...);" described in:

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.5/AddGeometryColumn.html

Ludwig