Обсуждение: Separating the ro directory of the DB engine itself from the rw data areas . . .

Separating the ro directory of the DB engine itself from the rw data areas . . .

От
Albretch Mueller
Дата:
~
 I need to configure postgreSQL in a way that I could run it from a
directory mounted as read only, with separate rw partitions mounted
for the data, logs, . . .
~
 What would be the steps to follow and the issues to take into consideration?
~
 thanks
 lbrtchx

Re: Separating the ro directory of the DB engine itself from the rw data areas . . .

От
Albretch Mueller
Дата:
 ... better yet; is it possible to configure postgreSQL in a way that
it depends on external variables set  via the OS in the same process
in which it is started?
~
 lbrtchx

Re: Separating the ro directory of the DB engine itself from the rw data areas . . .

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2011-01-24, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:
> ~
>  I need to configure postgreSQL in a way that I could run it from a
> directory mounted as read only, with separate rw partitions mounted
> for the data, logs, . . .
> ~
>  What would be the steps to follow and the issues to take into consideration?

first read through the main config file

as far as I know postgres doesn't need to write the main cluster
directory (/var/lib/postgres/8.4/main here - a debian variant)
only the subdirectories off it data,xlog etc...

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Separating the ro directory of the DB engine itself from the rw data areas . . .

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2011-01-24, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:
>  ... better yet; is it possible to configure postgreSQL in a way that
> it depends on external variables set  via the OS in the same process
> in which it is started?

Debian manages that somehow. I've got two 8.4 clusters running and
only one copy of the binaries installed,  I think they use a
command-line option to specify the location of the config files.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Re: Separating the ro directory of the DB engine itself from the rw data areas . . .

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:12:28PM +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  ... better yet; is it possible to configure postgreSQL in a way that
> it depends on external variables set  via the OS in the same process
> in which it is started?

Sure.  Use the -D command-line switch or the $PGDATA environment variable.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca