Обсуждение: Recover database from binary files

Recover database from binary files

От
Diogo Melo
Дата:
Hi,

I can't boot the postgres server anymore. I just have access to the files, like the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 path, for example. I use debian and postgresql-8.3 .

I don't have any sql dump. How can I recover my databases with just the binary files there?

I tried copy the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 to another a installation of postgresql-8.3 on another server, but without success.

Diogo Oliveira de Melo
Ciência da Computação
ICMC - USP São Carlos

Re: Recover database from binary files

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Diogo Melo <dmelo87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't boot the postgres server anymore. I just have access to the files,
> like the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 path, for example. I use debian and
> postgresql-8.3 .
>
> I don't have any sql dump. How can I recover my databases with just the
> binary files there?
>
> I tried copy the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 to another a installation of
> postgresql-8.3 on another server, but without success.

How did you copy them?  What error(s) did you get?

Fwd: Recover database from binary files

От
Diogo Melo

Diogo Oliveira de Melo
Ciência da Computação
ICMC - USP São Carlos

I can't boot the postgres server anymore. I just have access to the files, like the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 path, for example. I use debian and postgresql-8.3 .

I don't have any sql dump. How can I recover my databases with just the binary files there?

I tried copy the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 to another a installation of postgresql-8.3 on another server, but without success.

Diogo Oliveira de Melo
Ciência da Computação
ICMC - USP São Carlos

Re: Recover database from binary files

От
Diogo Melo
Дата:
just tar -zcvf 8.3.tar.gz /mnt/sdf/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/

since i found a way to mount the partition on /mnt/sdf.

first I installed postgres on a virtual machine and then I extracted the 8.3.tar.gz at /var/lib/postgresql . when i try to sh /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start it runs the command instantly but don't launch anything.

Is there a procedure to recover postgres databases on this occasions??

Diogo Oliveira de Melo
Ciência da Computação
ICMC - USP São Carlos

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Diogo Melo <dmelo87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't boot the postgres server anymore. I just have access to the files,
> like the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 path, for example. I use debian and
> postgresql-8.3 .
>
> I don't have any sql dump. How can I recover my databases with just the
> binary files there?
>
> I tried copy the /var/lib/postgresql/8.3 to another a installation of
> postgresql-8.3 on another server, but without success.

How did you copy them?  What error(s) did you get?

Re: Recover database from binary files

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Diogo Melo <dmelo87@gmail.com> wrote:
> just tar -zcvf 8.3.tar.gz /mnt/sdf/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/
> since i found a way to mount the partition on /mnt/sdf.
> first I installed postgres on a virtual machine and then I extracted the
> 8.3.tar.gz at /var/lib/postgresql . when i try to sh
> /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start it runs the command instantly but don't
> launch anything.
>
> Is there a procedure to recover postgres databases on this occasions??

Pretty much what you are doing is the procedure.  Check permissions on
that folder, look in the postgresql logs, look in the system logs,
etc.  It'll likely say something about wrong permissions, but that's
just a guess.

Re: Recover database from binary files

От
Diogo Melo
Дата:
You were right. It was just a matter of set chown -R postgres.postgres /var/lib/postgresql/8.3

:D :D :D

Case solved :D
Thanks a lot dude :D

Diogo Oliveira de Melo