Обсуждение: backup script

backup script

От
"Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z"
Дата:
GM,

First where can I post my question on the forum?  Couldn't find the
forum for discussion.

Second, I'm new with postgres. Try to evaluate this new db software
before the company can switch all oracle and mysql to postgres.  I don't
understand the concept how to create backup user, tablespace, etc....

Where can I create those from?  Do I need to go to template1 and create
them?  This software has no much help online and confused me... please
help

Thanks,

Bach-Nga Catherine Vo
703-767-7009
mailto: bvo.ctr@dtic.mil

Re: backup script

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 11/05/2012 16:23, Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z wrote:
> GM,
>
> First where can I post my question on the forum?  Couldn't find the
> forum for discussion.

Hi there,

Not sure what forum you mean.... you're writing to the pgsql-general
mailing list, so you're already in the right place.

> Second, I'm new with postgres. Try to evaluate this new db software
> before the company can switch all oracle and mysql to postgres.  I don't
> understand the concept how to create backup user, tablespace, etc....

Welcome!

Some of this happens in the database, some in the operating system. If
you give details of your platform - hardware and software - people will
be able to help you.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: backup script

От
"Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z"
Дата:
We are using Sun Solaris 64bits version 10.
postgresql-9.1.3-S10.sparc-6

I downloaded the script from some of the website and try to test out but
didn't work at all.  Don't know how to create a backup user (I know the
syntax but where should I create it?)  Normall, we goes to sqlplus / as
sysdba on oracle and mysql -u root -p on mysql, but where should I
create it on postgres?

Also, when I start the postgres, I saw 5 processes running... this is
odd isn't it?  Beside that, don't see port running on /tmp directory.

Thanks,

Bach-Nga Catherine Vo
703-767-7009
On 11/05/2012 16:23, Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z wrote:
> GM,
>
> First where can I post my question on the forum?  Couldn't find the
> forum for discussion.

Hi there,

Not sure what forum you mean.... you're writing to the pgsql-general
mailing list, so you're already in the right place.

> Second, I'm new with postgres. Try to evaluate this new db software
> before the company can switch all oracle and mysql to postgres.  I
> don't understand the concept how to create backup user, tablespace,
etc....

Welcome!

Some of this happens in the database, some in the operating system. If
you give details of your platform - hardware and software - people will
be able to help you.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: backup script

От
Stefan Tzeggai
Дата:
Hi

Am 11.05.2012 21:38, schrieb Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z:
> We are using Sun Solaris 64bits version 10.
> postgresql-9.1.3-S10.sparc-6
>
> Don't know how to create a backup user (I know the
> syntax but where should I create it?)
I don't know Solaris, but with the installation of Postgres on Linux
there usually comes a user "postgres". That user is by default a
superuser on the primary database called "postgres" and can connect to
it without a password.

So you could use that default superuser - or better create a new user
for backups:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createuser.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/app-createuser.html

--
wikisquare Softwareentwicklung
Stefan Tzeggai

email    tzeggai@wikisquare.de
webpage    wikisquare.de
skype    alfonx
phone   0228 24 000 528
mobile  0176 40 38 9559

reclaim your net - http://tor.eff.org
enforce privacy - http://www.pgpi.org
pgp key id: 51B576FD - http://pgp.mit.edu

Please note that according to the German law on data retention,
information on every electronic information exchange with me is
retained for a period of six months.

Re: backup script

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
On 05/11/2012 12:38 PM, Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z wrote:
> We are using Sun Solaris 64bits version 10.
> postgresql-9.1.3-S10.sparc-6
>
> I downloaded the script from some of the website and try to test out but
> didn't work at all.  Don't know how to create a backup user (I know the
> syntax but where should I create it?)  Normall, we goes to sqlplus / as
> sysdba on oracle and mysql -u root -p on mysql, but where should I
> create it on postgres?
The answer (as always) is, "it depends". I'll try to get you pointed in
the right direction.

The tools you need are called pg_dump and/or pg_dumpall:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pgdump.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pg-dumpall.html

The tools connect to the database pretty much like any other PostgreSQL
client connects (user/password/dbname/etc.) and must have permissions
appropriate to access the data being dumped. This does not necessarily
need to be a superuser. If Pat owns his/her database and wants to dump
it s/he can.

To dump everything in the database cluster (user/role information, all
databases, ...) requires superuser privilege. The PostgreSQL superuser
is "postgres".

For any connection to the database, whether general user or for doing
dumps, you need to make sure the connection is allowed in pg_hba.conf:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

> Also, when I start the postgres, I saw 5 processes running... this is
> odd isn't it?

Not odd at all. There is a main process listening for connections plus
several helper processes doing things like managing statistics
collection, managing database vacuuming (maintenance including
dead-space reclamation through autovacuum) and so on. There will also be
a process for every connected user.
>    Beside that, don't see port running on /tmp directory.

That is a default but can be changed a build-time or through configuration:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-connection.html

If your database is running and you can connect, try:
show unix_socket_directory;

Cheers,
Steve

Re: backup script

От
"Vo, Catherine CTR DTIC Z"
Дата:
Hi,

So exactly what do I need to do here?  I don't understand how the backup script work and what exactly user do I need to
create?

Can you please tell me more in detail?

Thanks,

Bach-Nga Catherine Vo