Обсуждение: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
salah jubeh
Дата:
Hello,

I have two postgresql servers 9.1.5 and 8.4.8  running on ubuntu machine, both are fresh installs and both has the same configuration files and databases.

I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database  dumped from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.

I am wondering what might be the cause for this behaviour?  Does 9.1 requires more attention on setting some parameters ..  ?

Regards

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 7:32 AM, salah jubeh <s_jubeh@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two postgresql servers 9.1.5 and 8.4.8  running on ubuntu machine,
> both are fresh installs and both has the same configuration files and
> databases.
>
> I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database  dumped
> from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.
>
> I am wondering what might be the cause for this behaviour?  Does 9.1
> requires more attention on setting some parameters ..  ?

At this level of detail, it is impossible to give an answer.  Some
people will find 9.1 faster, some slower.  I suspect more will find it
faster than slower.

Can you provide an easily reproducible test case?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM, salah jubeh <s_jubeh@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two postgresql servers 9.1.5 and 8.4.8  running on ubuntu machine,
> both are fresh installs and both has the same configuration files and
> databases.
>
> I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database  dumped
> from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.

So how different or similar are these two machines?

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
"Gauthier, Dave"
Дата:
If its not too much work, swap them around and retest to see if its really the DB/version or the machine.

> I have two postgresql servers 9.1.5 and 8.4.8  running on ubuntu
> machine, both are fresh installs and both has the same configuration
> files and databases.
>
> I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database
> dumped from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.

So how different or similar are these two machines?

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
"Gauthier, Dave"
Дата:
One thing I sometimes forget to do after loading up an empty DB with data is to run "analyze".  I usually "remember"
onceI see poor query performance, run the analyze, and its fixed.

> I have two postgresql servers 9.1.5 and 8.4.8  running on ubuntu
> machine, both are fresh installs and both has the same configuration
> files and databases.
>
> I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database
> dumped from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.

So how different or similar are these two machines?

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 09/21/2012 10:32 PM, salah jubeh wrote:

> I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database
> dumped from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions

More detail needed.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
salah jubeh
Дата:
Hello Guys,

Thanks for reply, and sorry for late response. Here is more details.

1. Both servers  are installed on parallel on the same machine, so there is no difference in Hardware.
2. Both servers have the same configuration setting except the ports (5432 and 5433).
3. I have run VACUUM ANALYSE  command on both databases  and no change in performance for both of them.
4. The execution plans are certainly different, I tried to use diff and the graphical representation pg-admin but the execution plan is a around 1700 lines, this is why I did not post them.

I have noticed that,  the filter location varies whe run the same queries using the two servers. In 8.4 the execution plan is mostly filter then join. In 9.1 join and then filter. But this is just a rough overview.

Regards

One thing I sometimes forget to do after loading up an empty DB with data is to run "analyze".  I usually "remember" once I see poor query performance, run the analyze, and its fixed.

> I have two postgresql servers 9.1.5 and 8.4.8  running on ubuntu
> machine, both are fresh installs and both has the same configuration
> files and databases.
>
> I am running queries sequentially on each machine using a database
> dumped from a life server ,  and 9.1 server is much slower than 8.4.

So how different or similar are these two machines?

Re: 9.1 vs 8.4 performance

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:47 AM, salah jubeh <s_jubeh@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> Thanks for reply, and sorry for late response. Here is more details.
>
> 1. Both servers  are installed on parallel on the same machine, so there is
> no difference in Hardware.
> 2. Both servers have the same configuration setting except the ports (5432
> and 5433).
> 3. I have run VACUUM ANALYSE  command on both databases  and no change in
> performance for both of them.
> 4. The execution plans are certainly different, I tried to use diff and the
> graphical representation pg-admin but the execution plan is a around 1700
> lines, this is why I did not post them.
>
> I have noticed that,  the filter location varies whe run the same queries
> using the two servers. In 8.4 the execution plan is mostly filter then join.
> In 9.1 join and then filter. But this is just a rough overview.
>
> Regards

We need to see the plans.

merlin