Обсуждение: Unable to do a mailing list proper search

Unable to do a mailing list proper search

От
craig@gtek.biz
Дата:
Good afternoon all,

I am trying to search the mailing list archives for the phrase "list all role privileges", and I would like to return
onlythe matches containing that exact phrase, and nothing else. Yet nothing works.

No matter what I enter, I get all pages that contain any or all of the words, whether or not they are are concurrent to
eachother, or spread throughout the page. Sure, the results include all pages with the exact phrase I want, but
searchingthrough all the unwanted pages is frustratingly tedious.

Can anyone tell me what the secret is to obtaining the desired search results? Enclosing a phrase in quotes works with
mostmailing list archives, with most search engines, and in queries. So surely there is a way to perform a similar
searchon the PostgreSQL archives?

Thanks,
Craig

Sent - Gtek Web Mail

Re: Unable to do a mailing list proper search

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/31/2012 12:59 PM, craig@gtek.biz wrote:
> Good afternoon all,
>
> I am trying to search the mailing list archives for the phrase "list all role privileges", and I would like to return
onlythe matches containing that exact phrase, and nothing else. Yet nothing works.

> No matter what I enter, I get all pages that contain any or all of the words, whether or not they are are concurrent
toeach other, or spread throughout the page. Sure, the results include all pages with the exact phrase I want, but
searchingthrough all the unwanted pages is frustratingly tedious.

> Can anyone tell me what the secret is to obtaining the desired search results? Enclosing a phrase in quotes works
withmost mailing list archives, with most search engines, and in queries. So surely there is a way to perform a similar
searchon the PostgreSQL archives?

Use Nabble search?
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 10/31/2012 12:59 PM, craig@gtek.biz wrote:
> list all role privileges

Google:

site:archives.postgresql.org 'list all role privileges'

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

craig@gtek.biz

> On 10/31/2012 12:59 PM, craig@gtek.biz wrote:
>> list all role privileges
>
> Google:
>
> site:archives.postgresql.org 'list all role privileges'
>
> --

I was kind of hoping "The world's most advanced open source database." would offer this functionality without having to
relyon an outside source.

Sent - Gtek Web Mail

Re: Unable to do a mailing list proper search

От
Chris Angelico
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM,  <craig@gtek.biz> wrote:

>> On 10/31/2012 12:59 PM, craig@gtek.biz wrote:
>>> list all role privileges
>>
>> Google:
>>
>> site:archives.postgresql.org 'list all role privileges'
>>
>> --
>
> I was kind of hoping "The world's most advanced open source database." would offer this functionality without having
torely on an outside source.

Why? The most advanced open source projects depend heavily on outside
sources. PostgreSQL is managed by git, borrowing from the Linux kernel
development tools; one web site mirror is run on RackSpace; there's
always a lot of reliance on uplinks and remote services. No point
replicating what already exists!

Leveraging (there, that's today's buzzword out of the way) Google
Search rather than building your own is a smart move. Python used to
have their own search facility, but it was recently pulled out in
favour of Google (see http://www.python.org/search/ for example)
because Google offer more functionality and faster response.

ChrisA