Обсуждение: Server to run Postgresql

Server to run Postgresql

От
"Bob Pawley"
Дата:
Hi

I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server to run my Postgresql database.

Is this even possible to do?

If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy to set up? Windows based would be ideal.

Bob

Re: Server to run Postgresql

От
Thalis Kalfigkopoulos

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
Hi

I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server to run my Postgresql database.

Is this even possible to do?

If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy to set up? Windows based would be ideal.

Bob

If by "Windows based" you mean "that has a graphical windowing system", then any U*IX/Linux distribution applies.
For supported platforms, check: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/supported-platforms.html

Or perhaps you might consider an all-in-one solution (apache+php+postgresql+pgadmin) like the stacks by Bitnami:

http://bitnami.org/stack/wappstack [for MsWindows]
http://bitnami.org/stack/lappstack [for Linux]

which are self-contained and easy to install/uninstall at will.

Best regards,
Thalis K.

Re: Server to run Postgresql

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 04/11/12 12:08, Bob Pawley wrote:
Hi

I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server to run my Postgresql database.

Is this even possible to do?

If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy to set up? Windows based would be ideal.

Bob

If you are setting up a dedicated server for Postgres, then I recommend using Linux based distribution, as Linux is more secure and generally performs better than Microsoft O/S's (to be honest, I don't know anything that runs better on a Microsoft O/S that also runs on Linux)- note that Steve Balmer (currently Microsoft's CEO) already admitted over a year ago that Linux now dominated the sever space.  Especially as Postgres will likely to perform better on a Linux box - and professionally, it is becoming more and more advantageous to have Linux experience on your CV.

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Server to run Postgresql

От
"Xiong He"
Дата:
You can build PG based on the source code of the latest release. <br />Or you can install PG9.2.1 via the installer.
Allyou need do is build it or download it and install.<br />See:<br />installer:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload#windows<br/>sourcecode:
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v9.2.1/<br/><br />As for the stability,  it depends on the real environment.   I
Narrow;font-size:12px">------------------</div><divstyle="font-size:14px;font-family:Verdana;color:#000;"><div><div
style="font-family:'lucida Grande', Verdana; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; ">Thanks&Regards,</div><div
style="font-family:'lucida Grande', Verdana; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; ">Xiong He<br /><br
ArialNarrow;padding:2px 0 2px 0;">------------------ Original ------------------</div><div style="font-size:

Re: Server to run Postgresql

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 03/11/2012 23:08, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server
> to run my Postgresql database.
>
> Is this even possible to do?

Hi Bob,

Of course.

> If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy
> to set up? Windows based would be ideal.

Is this for home use? - if so I'd go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which are
both very easy to set up and have comprehensive software repositories.
Linux Mint has a more traditional desktop interface; Ubuntu has its new
Unity interface which you may or may not like.

If you really want MS Windows and have a spare licence for it, there's
no problem installing PG on it with the EDB installer.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Server to run Postgresql

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 23:08, Bob Pawley wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server
>> to run my Postgresql database.
>>
>> Is this even possible to do?
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> Of course.
>
>> If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy
>> to set up? Windows based would be ideal.
>
> Is this for home use? - if so I'd go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which are
> both very easy to set up and have comprehensive software repositories.
> Linux Mint has a more traditional desktop interface; Ubuntu has its new
> Unity interface which you may or may not like.
>
> If you really want MS Windows and have a spare licence for it, there's
> no problem installing PG on it with the EDB installer.

Also note that there are real connection and kernel limits on a
non-server version of Windows as well.  While these won't likely show
up in home usage they're there.

For Ubuntu on an older machine, Xubuntu might be a better choice as
the GUI is much lighter weight.  That said I recently installed Ubuntu
12.04 on a 512MB / Pentium D 32 bit machine from back in the day and
it works.  Slower than my netbook, but it works.