Обсуждение: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Mike Lewis
Дата:
I am trying to make a trigger that updates a row once and only once per transaction (even if this trigger gets fired multiple times).  The general idea is that for a user we have a version number.  When we modify the user's data, the version number is incremented then set on the object.  We only need to increment the version number once.

I am thinking about doing something like:

update user
set version=version+1
where txid_current() != xmin and user_id = 352395;

So I guess my questions are:

How dirty is this?
Will I run into issues?
Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Mike Lewis <mikelikespie@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to make a trigger that updates a row once and only once per
> transaction (even if this trigger gets fired multiple times).  The general
> idea is that for a user we have a version number.  When we modify the user's
> data, the version number is incremented then set on the object.  We only
> need to increment the version number once.
>
> I am thinking about doing something like:
>
> update user
> set version=version+1
> where txid_current() != xmin and user_id = 352395;
>

> So I guess my questions are:
>
> How dirty is this?
> Will I run into issues?
> Is there a better way of doing this?

AFAIU it will work without issues. However I would use an additional
"modified" column that is set by trigger every time the row is updated
(and inserted) to the current time stamp and use it instead of
txid_current()/xmin. The only my reason is that it can give me more
control than txid based solution, for example if I need to set the
modified column from outside, say to sync it with some another
database shard's data.

--
a database and software architect
http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp

Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com Skype: gray-hemp Phone: +14158679984

Re: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Mike Lewis escribió:
> I am trying to make a trigger that updates a row once and only once per
> transaction (even if this trigger gets fired multiple times).  The general
> idea is that for a user we have a version number.  When we modify the
> user's data, the version number is incremented then set on the object.  We
> only need to increment the version number once.
>
> I am thinking about doing something like:
>
> update user
> set version=version+1
> where txid_current() != xmin and user_id = 352395;

Uh, txid_current returns a 64 bit value, whereas xmin only stores the 32
least significant bits.  They would certainly differ after a xid
wraparound.

Re: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Mike Lewis
Дата:
Uh, txid_current returns a 64 bit value, whereas xmin only stores the 32
least significant bits.  They would certainly differ after a xid
wraparound.

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Ah yes...  That would be a problem.  What about using just the lower 32 bits of the txid_current?

Re: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 02:55:40PM -0800, Mike Lewis wrote:
> I am trying to make a trigger that updates a row once and only once per
> transaction (even if this trigger gets fired multiple times).  The general
> idea is that for a user we have a version number.  When we modify the
> user's data, the version number is incremented then set on the object.  We
> only need to increment the version number once.
>
> I am thinking about doing something like:
>
> update user
> set version=version+1
> where txid_current() != xmin and user_id = 352395;
>

> So I guess my questions are:
>
> How dirty is this?
> Will I run into issues?

It won't work in the presenence of subtransactions and is a bit more
complicated if you inserted the row in the same transaction.

Re: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Marko Kreen
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 02:55:40PM -0800, Mike Lewis wrote:
>> I am trying to make a trigger that updates a row once and only once per
>> transaction (even if this trigger gets fired multiple times).  The general
>> idea is that for a user we have a version number.  When we modify the
>> user's data, the version number is incremented then set on the object.  We
>> only need to increment the version number once.
>>
>> I am thinking about doing something like:
>>
>> update user
>> set version=version+1
>> where txid_current() != xmin and user_id = 352395;
>>

>> So I guess my questions are:
>>
>> How dirty is this?
>> Will I run into issues?
>
> It won't work in the presenence of subtransactions and is a bit more
> complicated if you inserted the row in the same transaction.

This can be solved by storing txid_current() into row
and using that in comparision instead xmin/xmax.

--
marko

Re: Comparing txid_current() to xmin

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 11:47:37AM +0200, Marko Kreen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 02:55:40PM -0800, Mike Lewis wrote:
> >> I am trying to make a trigger that updates a row once and only once per
> >> transaction (even if this trigger gets fired multiple times).  The general
> >> idea is that for a user we have a version number.  When we modify the
> >> user's data, the version number is incremented then set on the object.  We
> >> only need to increment the version number once.
> >>
> >> I am thinking about doing something like:
> >>
> >> update user
> >> set version=version+1
> >> where txid_current() != xmin and user_id = 352395;
> >>

> >> So I guess my questions are:
> >>
> >> How dirty is this?
> >> Will I run into issues?
> >
> > It won't work in the presenence of subtransactions and is a bit more
> > complicated if you inserted the row in the same transaction.
>
> This can be solved by storing txid_current() into row
> and using that in comparision instead xmin/xmax.

If there is sufficient demand for this it should be easy enough to add a
function that checks for stuff like this using the information already
available in the backends memory.
The hardest part seems to be to find a good name...

It would basically only need to wrap
TransactionIdIsCurrentTransactionId.

Greetings,

Andres Freund