Обсуждение: Running multiple instances off one set of binaries

Running multiple instances off one set of binaries

От
Karl Denninger
Дата:
Let's assume I want to run:

1. An instance of the database that is a replicated copy from another sit=
e.

2. A LOCAL instance that contains various things on the local machine
that are not shared.

Let's further assume all are to be 9.2 revs.

Am I correct in that I can do this by simply initdb-ing the second
instance with a different data directory structure, and when starting it
do so with a different data directory structure?

e.g. "initdb -D data"

and

"initdb -D data2"

And that as long as there are no collisions (E.g. port numbers) this
works fine?

--=20
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker =AE/ <http://market-ticker.org>
Cuda Systems LLC

Re: Running multiple instances off one set of binaries

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
> Am I correct in that I can do this by simply initdb-ing the second instance
> with a different data directory structure, and when starting it do so with a
> different data directory structure?

You are correct.

> And that as long as there are no collisions (E.g. port numbers) this works
> fine?

Sure.

--
Sergey Konoplev
Database and software architect

Phones:
USA +1 415 867 9984
Russia, Moscow +7 901 903 0499
Russia, Krasnodar +7 988 888 1979

Skype: gray-hemp
Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com

Re: Running multiple instances off one set of binaries

Дата:
Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
>> Am I correct in that I can do this by simply initdb-ing the second instance
>> with a different data directory structure, and when starting it do so with a
>> different data directory structure?

> You are correct.

You also need a separate port number for the second instance (obviously,
only one of them can have 5432).  Another point is that you may have to
twiddle the kernel's shmem settings to make enough shared memory
available for both installations.  But people do this all the time.

            regards, tom lane